Sony looks to change the world of DSLRs - Masashi 'Tiger' Im

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Sony looks to change the world of DSLRs - Masashi 'Tiger

Unread post by agorabasta »

He-he-he... No way the Nex system can survive without a decent VF!

The problem is that those who buy more and more lenses for their system are more or less the very same 'those' who need a viewfinder. So no VF - no lens sales; no lens sales - the system gets abandoned.

A simple example - had Nex on vacation trip, got to correct horizon on about 90% of all snaps. Never ever had to do so with a700...
No way I go on vacation without a VF cam; so next time the Nex may come along or it may stay home...

So having an advanced DSLR-ish version of Nex is a matter of survival of the whole system.
The simple versions would still exist and make about 90% of total sales, though...
Last edited by agorabasta on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Ok here's a good question so I buy and NEX and the OVF for the WA lens so now..how do I take flash pictures? :shock:
We were talking about choices earlier and it's hard to say a VF is redundant for modern photography maybe some don't care but some will.
I really think that Barry should try and broaden his vision a little. As I have said repeatedly the choice of a particular camera is a question of "horses for courses". Serious photographers who have acquired a NEX have done so for particular purposes and still have their DSLRs, so the answer is pick up your DSLR and fit the appropriate accessories and lenses. So for Barry the answer is simple. Leave the NEX in the drawer and pick up your A200 or 5D (if he ever buys one, which I seriously doubt). If you only have the NEX with you, there is another simple solution, namely remove the OVF and fit the flash gun. There is little point in having a go at the NEX for what it is. As the system develops it will become more and more easy to acquire DSLR images carrying a fraction of the weight and with much less volume. Ideal for travellers and those coming of age who can no longer "carry millstones round their necks". I am convinced that the NEX system has a place besides DSLRs and SLTs. I have also posted pictures of the clearViewer above as a sort of primitive but usable "EVF" substitute until something else turns up in the NEX system as it probably will. The main point for me to migrate from DPReview to this site was David's "disappearance" from DPR. Let's get some positive contributions on how we can get more pleasure out of our Sony/Minolta gear.
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

Greg Beetham wrote:Well I guess you would only 'need' an EVF for telephoto lenses, if you were inclined to use a NEX for telephoto that is, so the use of flash at the same time is probably infrequent, I know I use flash with telephoto lenses but I haven't seen many others doing it. In any case they 'could' put the flash hotshoe on top of the eccessory EVF if they wanted to. Whatever...I'm not that bothered either way about telephoto and/or flash on a NEX, although ideally it should have a better solution to flash than at present. I think the camera has potential for me for some use, maybe, with a couple of short lenses, but not the present versions.
We are after all talking hypothetically, the NEX 7 doesn't exist yet, so we don't know for sure what Sony is going to do with the nex t version.
Greg
That was clever Greg nex t :lol:
What ever you want a camera for there is always one out there to choose from if it be Sony or any of the others it is called Choice, your money and no one is forcing you to buy it.
I chose Sony not because of the name it was because it suited my type of photography and I can buy older Minolta lenses, good ones at that, to use. Also if Sony do bring other nice cameras out and lenses it means it is just another thing to tempt me with to spend my cash. :?
So it works for me also I am now of an age that even if I don’t buy any more kit it could see me out with what I have got.

Richard
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

OneGuyKs wrote:LCD is needed. Viewfinder is redundant. At best they can release an external viewfinder for those who need it. Putting it on camera fixed (so that I can't remove it even if I don't want it) wold be dumb.
No, not needed. It is just a sop to Luddites who are afraid of change. Get rid of it and the lens and the controls. NEX 5 is just a stepping stone to NEX 6 which will have a much smoother surface without all those annoying protuberances that interfere with the pleasure of owning a NEX. Aesthetically you will be won over once you get it in your hand. A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
OneGuyKs wrote: Nex is just fine as it is -- the system just needs more lenses and better 16 MP sensor.
For those still not ready to step into the future there could still be a lower level model called the NEX 4 that while also without all those distractions like LCD, lens, and controls does have a store of 3 or 4 photos pre-loaded into the camera and at anytime you can get any of them or all of them out using Bluetooth. Not necessary because anyone who really wants photos can find plenty on the internet already, but Sony being a practical company knows they can't push the future too fast or they might lose the slower people. :D

I cleverly didn't sign an NDA so I think I won't be getting into any legal trouble for spilling the beans. :)
Last edited by bakubo on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

peterottaway wrote:I'm afraid that NEX without a EVF either as an add in or built in is NOT for me. I have to support Barry on this one.
Yeah, an external EVF that is well integrated would make a big difference to me too. Without it I can't see myself ever getting a NEX. With it, if the price is reasonable, I could see myself getting one sometime.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

The proof is in the pudding. Panasonic sold 10 times more GF1 than they did G1, G2, and GH2. A permanent EVF on the camera makes it unnecessarily large, and 100% a failed camera.

No sorry. No *fixed* EVF on Nex body. No thank you.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

OneGuyKs wrote:No sorry. No *fixed* EVF on Nex body. No thank you.
So you wish *nobody* ever get an EVF Nex??? Everybody get the same no-EVF kind of body exactly as you prefer???

Do you understand what you have requested in you post?
Scooterman
Oligarch

agorabasta wrote:
OneGuyKs wrote:No sorry. No *fixed* EVF on Nex body. No thank you.
So you wish *nobody* ever get an EVF Nex??? Everybody get the same no-EVF kind of body exactly as you prefer???

Do you understand what you have requested in you post?
Don’t worry if Sony thinks it is a good idea to put one on and it is financially worth it they will do it.
Regards
Richard
Ps I am quite looking forward to the nex t :wink: camera bodies to be launched, we could be in exciting times, I do so hope the promises that have been made by Sony are carried out.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

OneGuyKs wrote:A permanent EVF on the camera makes it unnecessarily large, and 100% a failed camera.
You heard it here first. The A55/A33 is a failed camera. :)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Here's the funny bit: the EVF component and ocular is tiny. It does not need ANY kind of pentaprism shape, and it can be placed anywhere on the camera body. The entire EVF assembly of the KM A2 was within the swivelling bit on the top.

Sony could make a body exactly the same size as the NEX, with a small eyepiece on the very far left corner (remember, no parallax- does not matter where you put the eyepiece, does not have to be 'over the lens') and maybe a 1cm forward or rear protrusion at the most - no deeper than the NEX-5 handgrip.

There is no need at all for the EVF to fake an SLR in shape - that is the mistake made by Panasonic, Samsung, and even by Sony. The A55/33 does not need its prism shape for anything except the built-in flash. Don't mention the AF system, because that does not have to be at the top. The SLT mirror can equally well aim downwards or even sideways (think about it!) with the AF module positioned accordingly. There is no need at all for the 'SLR shape' design model.

They just thought this would sell better.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

If they made it integral that'd be ok except for the auto switching between rear LCD and EVF as on a DSLR, then they'd either have to have the sensors mounted under it or have a switch to tune one off and the other on. The NEX is the closest yet to having a dabble with some MD lenses that I've seen, just for fun, pity is I doubt we'll ever see a DSLR that could use them directly and work the lens diaphragm properly...now that would be something I would definitely buy...absolutely...no question...
Greg
Scooterman
Oligarch

I have been thinking about Sony’s strategy with the way forward.
We had the A-55/33 then the A-580/560 (560 I have not seen) they were out at the same time but the A-580 was not generally available for the start.
I was wondering if Sony was maybe having a rethink and maybe will put out the A-77 and then because of the popularity of the A-580 they will put out a DSLR version of the A-77 maybe an A-770. ( it would be nice) :D
It is only my thoughts but the A-580 has been a reasonable seller even if it was in short supply over here in the UK, also without the hype of the reviewers in the Glossy mags.
Regards
Richard
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Well Scooterman, I started this thread not thinking it would get to 13 pages and continuing, but reference your comments above, I would like to remind you that one "Tiger's" utterances was
'There has been a lot of discussion about what an Alpha DSLR should be. We've been focusing for some time on utilizing our unique technologies. The translucent mirror is one and it performs very well. We want the A700 replacement to be in line with that kind of step forward, we want it to be superior to its competitors, that's why we couldn't make it sooner,' he said. But, he assured us, the results will be worth waiting for: 'With the A33 and 55 we tried to look at the problem and get rid of some of the old hassles - the A700 successor should be like that.'
So I think it is probably fair to predict that the A700 successor will be more an A77 SLT type than A750 OVF or whatever. So I don't think that the DSLR supporters will be happy. Walt has got enough A700s to keep him happy and Barry is on his way to Pentax, but the rest will have to make up their minds. I for one do not care as my A580 will do me fine and my focus is now on expanding my NEX system with a NEX-7 or whatever (hopefully with an EVF thrown in) and light tele/Wide angle zooms of one kind or another. DSLR quality with almost P&S volume and weight (near enough). I am sure that over the next year or two Sony will deliver the goods I desire.
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

Scooterman wrote: It is only my thoughts but the A-580 has been a reasonable seller even if it was in short supply over here in the UK, also without the hype of the reviewers in the Glossy mags.
Regards
Richard
This may be of no significance at all. Sony have just announced a 5in external screen which can run off any camera with an HDMI output connection. A snip at $399, it seems mainly intended for video. There is a picture in Amateur Photographer, but what caught my eye was that they chose to show it (illustration presumably supplied by Sony) mounted on an A580. Maybe they're not after all trying to hide their OVF, or perhaps it's just that the 5in screen would dwarf an A55 (let alone a NEX).

But then on the next page is a report from the USA that Sony are hinting more strongly than ever that the A700 replacement will be a DSLT and, as DK perhaps suggested, that all details 'are subject to change, including the shape of the body itself'.
Scooterman
Oligarch

It maybe wishful thinking on my part for an A-7** but things do happen the A-580 has sold well not because of hype it is because it is a dam good camera at a fraction of the competition prices.
When the A-77 comes out and it is as good or even better than promised I may just be tempted, but I do hope it is bigger than the A-55, that body for me is just a tad small, I like my A-580 and even then with a grip with a longer lens on it just balances it out nicely, as a Canon guy said to me when he asked to have a look at it, “Nice and light isn’t it” after his 1Dmk 4 gear it is as light as a feather. :)
regards
richard