What would be a suitable upgrade from A200

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

What would be a suitable upgrade from A200

Unread post by NeilOffkey75 »

I have been doing photography now for just over 2 years and feel that my A200 is starting to under perform. I'm not currently in the the market for a new DSLR but I obviously will be in the future and wondered in the current market what would be a good choice of Sony DSLR to go for.... been reading alot about the A55 and sounds pretty impressive.
Sony A200 - Minolta AF 75-300mm - Sony 50mm DT f1.8/50 SAM - Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Re: What would be a suitable upgrade from A200

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

NeilOffkey75 wrote:I have been doing photography now for just over 2 years and feel that my A200 is starting to under perform. I'm not currently in the the market for a new DSLR but I obviously will be in the future and wondered in the current market what would be a good choice of Sony DSLR to go for.... been reading alot about the A55 and sounds pretty impressive.
What do you mean by "starting to under perform"? I have an A200 and I have not noticed any changes in the images or handling. Is there something I need to watch out for?
Cheers
Jeff
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

chorleyjeff wrote:
NeilOffkey75 wrote:I have been doing photography now for just over 2 years and feel that my A200 is starting to under perform. I'm not currently in the the market for a new DSLR but I obviously will be in the future and wondered in the current market what would be a good choice of Sony DSLR to go for.... been reading alot about the A55 and sounds pretty impressive.
What do you mean by "starting to under perform"? I have an A200 and I have not noticed any changes in the images or handling. Is there something I need to watch out for?
Cheers
Jeff
Under perform were probably the incorrect words. I was looking to move up from entry level and go to the next stage.
Sony A200 - Minolta AF 75-300mm - Sony 50mm DT f1.8/50 SAM - Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

If you want APS-C, you can go 560 0r 580 for OVF, 35 or 55/57 for SLT, or wait for the 77.

For full frame there's only the 900 left, although there are plenty of new 850s still advertised.

Myself, I'm hoping to get a 580 soon. Why cheat yourself of the other 2 MPs for $100?

Dusty
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

NeilOffkey75 wrote:
chorleyjeff wrote:
Cheers
Jeff
Under perform were probably the incorrect words. I was looking to move up from entry level and go to the next stage.
Aha. Same here.
Had a rush of blood this afternoon and went to Manchester and bought an A580.
Now I have to sell the kit lens and either my A100 or A200 body, or both.
Cheers
Jeff
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Get the best you can afford -but specially get good lenses. Probably investing money on a new/better lens will give your A200 a new life.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

pakodominguez wrote:Get the best you can afford -but specially get good lenses. Probably investing money on a new/better lens will give your A200 a new life.
Good lenses are a must, but until they develop cameras with upgradeable sensors, getting a new body is one of the best ways to upgrade!

Dusty
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Agree about the lenses. Camera bodies are temporary for me and for digital they can move into a rapid depreciation gradient after about 2 years although I admit this has certainly not been the case yet with my a900 and I've just sold my a700 for more than I would have expected. But lenses are another matter provided you buy the best. I just wish I'd followed this dictum with more Leica M lenses, some of which have doubled or tripled in value over the last 3 years following the price hikes in the new. New Sony lenses have also risen in sterling terms but used Minolta prices are steady to down a little according to Kurt Munger. In general terms though they will hold their value much better than camera bodies so I would go for a decent quality lens set before moving onto the latest body unless there is a clear advantage for upgrading.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Dusty wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:Get the best you can afford -but specially get good lenses. Probably investing money on a new/better lens will give your A200 a new life.
Good lenses are a must, but until they develop cameras with upgradeable sensors, getting a new body is one of the best ways to upgrade!

Dusty
I probably did misunderstood the OP's ideas... I thought he was talking about going a step further into his photographic learning process. Unless you are looking for printing really big sizes, or doing video, or if you need 5+ FPS, the A200 is fine (ask BF!) The OP didn't state what lenses he have, or what are his interest into photography.

I think the money that goes into lenses (good lenses...) is a better investment than the money that goes into cameras, since digital cameras are all 'disposable", and a good lens can boost the learning process of out friend.

Finally, I don't think we'll ever see a DSRL with "upgradeable" sensors, since each sensor generation have different needs.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

What's your budget Neil?
NeilOffkey75
Heirophant

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I am not looking at the moment but expect my budget to be around £500 when I do come to look at a new body. As for what type of photography, currently I do alot of wildlife, portrait and also random day to day out and about shots but will hopefully be doing wedding photographs aswell.

As for lens it is Minolta AF 75-300mm - Sony 50mm DT f1.8/50 SAM - Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Most logical path is A580 no question about it.
I'd pass on the A500/550 myself..

Yes A200 is pretty good for the low outlay it's easier to overlook some quirks. If you hunger low light performance then the newer CMOS sensors are the way to go.
michaelhthorpe
Acolyte

Unread post by michaelhthorpe »

In many ways it is a matter of what you want to achieve by upgrading.

In my case, as an old back injury is playing up, to upgrade from my excellent a700 would be to have live-view with a folding (up and down) screen.
I am uncertain about switching to an electronic viewfinder, but I suspect my doubts are a reluctance to a system I have known, and got used to over many years.
In many ways I would like to go full-frame, but the cost of replacing some lenses, combined with a heavier outfit as one gets older, deter me from this route.

I guess my (as yet, undecided) route would be the A580 or the anticipated 77.

The essence of my musings are for you to establish what is restricting the development of your photography, and than see what resolves those issues, as always, taking into account your budget.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

NeilOffkey75, if your budget is £500, you can forget about A77 http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-excl ... 50mm-lens/
According to this SR5 rumour the new price for a77 body only is likely to be
$1299. That would translate to more than £1000 in UK. I would suggest A580 if you are keen on OVF and A55 if EVF is OK with you. As you are not I would recommend A580 based on my own experience. Last chance to get a DSLR with OVF from Sony.