Q&A with the SLT Development Team

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Q&A with the SLT Development Team

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

David Kilpatrick wrote: Also, Sony has been reading your forum posts. And mine, and many others. Paul Genge told me that the comments - adverse and favourable - on forums had produced a complete change of basic attitude at Sony. He said they were no longer the same company, and much of this was a result of reading what users and potential users were saying on-line. 'Listening'. That's what the whole press conference was about; Sony is opening up, understanding better, they've put back many features (some may simply not be possible) and will continue to do more. I can tell - Paul was delighted about this.
David
Well I'll be hanging onto my stuff but the response has been a bit too slow from Sony. I don't blame people like Paul Genge (I believe he worked for KM before this?) and I even heard he was a photographer as well (evidently into F1 shots and wildlife etc)
I don't know the guy just what I read.

I've got this impression of Sony.. that it's the top people in Japan (how much power Toru has final say I have no idea) and anyone else forget it feedback wise.
I hope they got a refund on their hitman contract as well, I've been an awful PITA for Sony and I've even thought about putting a hit out on myself as I'm almost sick of my constant complaining, not to mention the cost of keyboard replacements has gone a bit silly! :mrgreen: :oops: 8) :shock:

Still I think some valid points, even if the repetition was tiresome. :twisted:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Don't feel putout Barry, I've seen you make lots of sense in the past. It looks like Sony might be on the improve a little anyway.
Greg
bfitzgerald

Greg I think there comes a point where it's time to just say "ok let's forget it"
I can see some positive signs from Sony (at least in some ways ala MLU, DOF preview) it's good they are back.
On the other hand they do seem overly focussed on translucent and this isn't the direction I want to go in.

I don't think I will have OVF DSLR's to buy on A mount in the not so distant future. If Sony can signal something different I'd be a lot happier. As far as now goes I think it's time to try something else, the A560/580 look decent enough..but still not what I really want not bad, but not enough.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Why not dig around and see if you can scare up an A700 at the right price? It's a very decent neighbourhood, trust me.
Greg
bfitzgerald

I'm sure I'd be happy with an A700 but if there are no more OVF models like that in the future then I'm simply delaying the inevitable. I simply don't know what Sony will do, but I know they could make a clear statement that they will continue OVF products for users.
Also time moves on, being into low light shooting the A700's 12mp sensor is good, but unfortunately the newer versions of the CMOS sensors are even better.

That's why IMO it was a mistake that they did not update this model. And I'm not convinced with their mid level range either..not bad but not what I'm looking for. It's cool as I'll hang onto my A mount stuff as I got some great deals and I'll be doing some film shooting too as well as using the 5d etc till it drops. I've nothing to lose by trying another maker. I won't be buying lots of stuff just enough to get the job done. If I get on well I'll consider offloading some of the A mount stuff, I'd be unlikely to get rid of it all though.

I just read this and I'm still of the view Sony will not support OVF's at least in Sub FF models in the near future.
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ima-1.html
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Not terribly re-assuring for the future of OVF's alright, it just remains too be seen how well the EVF's sell I guess, and whether they can maintain momentum. If after a flurry they then die off then there might be a chance maybe, also it depends how loud the protests are I suppose.
Greg
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bfitzgerald wrote:I'm sure I'd be happy with an A700 but if there are no more OVF models like that in the future then I'm simply delaying the inevitable. I simply don't know what Sony will do, but I know they could make a clear statement that they will continue OVF products for users.
Also time moves on, being into low light shooting the A700's 12mp sensor is good, but unfortunately the newer versions of the CMOS sensors are even better.
Well, I'm in the delay the inevitable class. I figure that if I can scare up the funds for an 850, or at least a 580, I can use them long enough to see where the DSLR world is going. I don't need video, nor night vision disguised as ISO 640,000 in my cameras, but I want a good solid performer that will give me the same results a very good film 35mm camera will.

If I can get that, and make it last another 3-5 years, DSLRs will have shaken out a bit more and improved enough for me to make the switch (if needed) to whatever system still has an affordable OVF DSLR.

Dusty
tom power 53
Heirophant

Unread post by tom power 53 »

No reason an A850 would not last 5 years. Surely before then though tech will have advanced way beyond that. Certainly 850 will give you the results you are talking about wanting (actually better I would say).
rush2112
Initiate

Unread post by rush2112 »

David Kilpatrick wrote:

Also, Sony has been reading your forum posts. And mine, and many others. Paul Genge told me that the comments - adverse and favourable - on forums had produced a complete change of basic attitude at Sony. He said they were no longer the same company, and much of this was a result of reading what users and potential users were saying on-line. 'Listening'. That's what the whole press conference was about; Sony is opening up, understanding better, they've put back many features (some may simply not be possible) and will continue to do more. I can tell - Paul was delighted about this.

David
David, I'll believe it when I see it in the products. I don't consider the features we are seeing in the A560/580 for example as testimony for "listening" to its consumers- frankly many of those features should never have been removed in the first place. They are certainly a step back in the right direction but one look at a competitor's product for the price and clearly Sony are outclassed in customization and photographer friendly operation- and many times features flat out.

I'm deaf to empty promises and we'll do better and this and that kind of PR management with the public. Since the good start Sony had with the A100/700/900 cameras Sony has floundered in comparison.

Unfortunately Sony's reputation with dealers and serious photographers pretty much worldwide is not all that good, especially in the UK and the US territories. Two, of the biggest markets. Add in Japan, and less the NEX, Sony have always been on the ropes there and they are lucky to have success with the NEX there at this point- that success can end overnight.

Add in that most of the press seem to have the same sentiment and Sony have a lot of play-catchup to do.

For many it's too late and they will not forget. Sony has permanently damaged their own reputation in the photo industry.

If they can pull off gaining respect back in the industry I'll both be quite shocked, and happy for them. But it is a long shot. The camera market was just fine without Sony before they acquired Alpha, and rest assured they can be just fine without them again.

Carl
Last edited by rush2112 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
catalytic
Initiate

Unread post by catalytic »

David Kilpatrick wrote:If we didn't have Sony, the Pentax K-5 would be my choice. The viewfinder is just - lovely. Superb matte field, very bright, very sharp. It's the best DSLR I have seen for some time and it is what Sony should have been making to replace the A700.
Totally agree. The Limited primes are quite compelling, and Pentax, it seems, has finally produced a body worthy of them (IMHO), assuming the AF system has been improved as they claim.
Also, Sony has been reading your forum posts. And mine, and many others. Paul Genge told me that the comments - adverse and favourable - on forums had produced a complete change of basic attitude at Sony. He said they were no longer the same company, and much of this was a result of reading what users and potential users were saying on-line. 'Listening'. That's what the whole press conference was about; Sony is opening up, understanding better, they've put back many features (some may simply not be possible) and will continue to do more. I can tell - Paul was delighted about this.
Well that is reassuring and refreshing to hear. I noticed that tone in the presentations from your Photokina video upload too. Speaking of listening to the customer, are they listening that people like to use pancake primes with diminuitive mirrorless cameras? Not just zooms and bigger primes?

Sony says they have 7 NEX lenses in development, but only 3 of them primes, and none of them are particularly compact or pancake like. While the 16/2.8 might be a good wide-angle option, we definitely need more compact prime options in the normal range. 35 and 50 mm-e options would be ideal, but even a single option in the form of a 28/2 pancake would be very welcome. I suspect a CZ 24/2 is coming, but that is a bit wider than i would prefer, and from the looks of the prototype, quite big relative to the NEX body too.

Give us a pancake normal first, and then you can add more "exotic" options. Just look at how well Panasonic's 20/1.7 has been received. A fast, compact normal prime is such a basic, essential requirement of a lens lineup. I don't know how Sony neglected to have one available at launch, but even worse, has not planned to produce one in the next two years either! That just seems wrong to me.
A700, A900 | T 17-50, Sig 18-50/OS, 24-85, S 28-75, beer can
20/2.8, 24/2.8, 30/2.8, 35/1.4G, 35/2, 50/1.7, 50/2.8, Z 85/1.4, T 90/2.8
Nikon and Olympus systems
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I would agree with you Carl about the direct marketing by Sony to retailers in what should be its major markets. When Sony needed to get their product into as many stores in as may geographical areas as possible they deliberately went the other way.

But that is a different complaint to the actual products being produced and needs to be addressed separately. After all you can have the most wonderful product and it can be worthless in the market place. Two separate problems.

But if the buying public take to the NEX and SLT ranges then the most Sonyphobe retailer will change their opinion overnight, if Sony is willing to deliver the product and support. As with the famous quote from the Godfather - it's nothing personal,it's only business.

And yes Canon and Nikon were happy with the old status quo but what does that prove ?
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Like some of you I believe that the A560 and A580 could be the last OVF models produced by Sony in APS-C size. I have actually made up my mind that I shall buy one A580 when the body only price drops to around £500. That will probably be it for me. On the other hand it would appear that FF would continue to be OVF for some time at least. I do think that Sony will do well with their EVF/translucent mirror models in the long run. The new generation has been brought up on this kind of stuff.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Re pancake primes - the Micro 4/3rd body register is deeper than 20mm focus, so the Panny 20mm is very similar to the Sony 16mm in relationship to the body, and therefore a similar thickness. But if you put a 20mm on the NEX, or more realistically a 24mm, it will automatically have 5mm - 2mm body thickness plus 3mm maybe for the greater degree of retrofocus design needed to ensure telecentric coverage of APS-C.

The macro design looks very close to the 16mm pancake plus 5mm and I would guess it's a 30mm.

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

rush2112 wrote: snip...[/1]
They are certainly a step back in the right direction but one look at a competitor's product for the price and clearly Sony are outclassed in customization and photographer friendly operation- and many times features flat out.

Carl

This can be solved with good firmware programming. Sony wants to be 'entry level friendly" and we want more features. Simply add another 24K of firmware ROM and add a "Pro" mode so that we can get all the advanced features.

Sony, are you listening? While you're at it don't forget my great idea posted here: http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 85&start=0

Dusty
bfitzgerald

The words "firmware" and Sony don't seem to mix that well! Though they are doing something for NEX users which makes me wonder even more about them (considering the target market of NEX)
Oh and why do NEX users get DMF yet they seem unable to offer this do DSLR users? Cough..