Interview with Mr. Katsumoto, General Director of Sony Alpha

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Interview with Mr. Katsumoto, General Director of Sony Alpha

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Mr. Katsumoto wrote:As for the A900, it has been widely accepted mostly by landscape photographers. The 24MP sensor and the CZ and G lenses make for a very appealing product for landscape photographers. On the other hand it probably isn’t nearly as appealing for sports photographers. So it’s not perfect, but it is a very good product for the type of photographer that likes to really pour himself into each frame.
I get the feeling from this paragraph that they're just making cameras without direction and finding out, after-the-fact, to whom their products appeal.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

KevinBarrett wrote:
Mr. Katsumoto wrote:
As for the A900, it has been widely accepted mostly by landscape photographers. The 24MP sensor and the CZ and G lenses make for a very appealing product for landscape photographers. On the other hand it probably isn’t nearly as appealing for sports photographers. So it’s not perfect, but it is a very good product for the type of photographer that likes to really pour himself into each frame.

I get the feeling from this paragraph that they're just making cameras without direction and finding out, after-the-fact, to whom their products appeal.
I am not sure this is fair comment as far as the A900 is concerned. As I recall it Sony never claimed that this was a professional camera as they did not (and still do not) have the infrastructure to support professionals such as that available to the CAN/NIK professionals. It has been claimed that the A900 was a "positioning statement" by Sony such as we have taken over Minolta and we mean business and the camera certainly delivers for the landscape type group.

I think that the A850 is a bit more of a "directionless" affair, particularly if the idea was to move A700 owners up to FF rather than providing a true APS-C replacement. That intention smells more to me of being "muddled thinking".

The release of no less than five models in quick succession to cater for P&S upgraders rather than also closing the gap between entry and FF with one of these such as a better spec'ed A550 starting at ISO100 also looks directioless to me.

It seems to me that at the point where Sony had a line-up consisting of A200/300/350/700/900 they had an excellent springboard to the next level and in my humble opinion they have not made full use of the possibilities. They have not fully utilised their technical capabilities to provide an advancement on the line-up quoted above and have left a huge gap beween the A550 and A850 with "congestion" particularly at the "low" end.
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

alphaomega wrote: It would appear that we are more or less promised a replacement for the A700 in 2011 (although they aretrying for late 2010). The positive thing is that Mr. Toru Katsumoto seem to realise that Sony need to cater for the high end amateur market and probably will be aiming for a 7D "killer" with workable video as well as top class still capability. The bad news is that it may be up to 18 months away.

It really is a shame that Sony did not "patch up" the A550 to be an interim replacement for the A700 with MLU, DOF, intermediate ISO settings, P shift and an ISO range from 100 to 6400 with ISO 100/200 to equal or beat the A350 without losing the improvements above ISO800. They could have kept the A500 "as is" to cover the gap between A380 and an enhanced A550. Indeed what a shame.

I don't think that what Mr. Katsumoto said can be read to say that the camera won't be ready for eighteen months or more. I read it simply as saying that Sony's plan is to release the new camera "in the coming year." That could mean anytime in 2010. But then he does muddy the water by saying he cannot promise that it will be released in 2010, because things happen. Since I see a good deal of evidence that the camera will be released in the next four months, I suspect that he was saying that to explain the delay that has already happened.

Dulaney
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
DavidConn
Acolyte

Unread post by DavidConn »

KevinBarrett wrote:
Mr. Katsumoto wrote:As for the A900, it has been widely accepted mostly by landscape photographers. The 24MP sensor and the CZ and G lenses make for a very appealing product for landscape photographers. On the other hand it probably isn’t nearly as appealing for sports photographers. So it’s not perfect, but it is a very good product for the type of photographer that likes to really pour himself into each frame.
I tend to share this perspective.....this camera system is very well suited to portrait and wedding photographers as well and there is absolutely no push in my area of photography for this camera. I only happened upon it by chance at the photo plus expo in NYC back in october, and if i had not ducked out into the relatively empty Sony pavillion to get away from the crowd, i likely would not be posting here. They need to build the hype around a great product. The consumer (us) seem to be more enthusiastic about their purchase, than Sony is in selling to us. I called Sony 13 times too find out more about getting my hands on a camera, and it took a call to one of the Sony Artisan photographers to get in touch with the "right" person. i am curious to see what develops from here.......my camera is on loan to me for several weeks, and then i will really post up some hopefully great images here for you all to critique....
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Mr. Katsumoto's comments about pouring into each frame, well I have not had the benefit of using a FF Sony DSLR, I am sure they are very good, but the remark on it's own means little to nothing.
Reality is, however impressive Sony FF cameras might be to some types of shooters, they are overall low volume sellers. The real meat happens much lower down the food chain. And that is why I hear alarm bells ringing.
Mr. Katsumoto has also said that by moving motors to the lens, it allows them the choice of removing the in body AF motor. I believe Sony intend to do this, and it might happen in the not distant future with the entry level bodies. He also made comments about making things "more Sony like" or "simple"

It is fairly clear to me what a future Alpha system will look like, it will be a two tier system, with models below the A700 (and it's replacement) being scant on features, with many items removed in the vain hope of pulling users up to more expensive bodies. This of course ignores the obvious point that rivals offer choices..and it's this mistake that will cause Sony some major pain.

Nikon too have a two tier system, just they cripple their entry bodies, but offer something mid level and up..
So it's hard to take Sony seriously at the top end, FF wise..if they cannot hold onto users lower down. A FF Sony DSLR is a significant investment in both body and optics, one which the majority of users will never make.

Unfortunately the perception I get from other users about Sony is not a very positive one, they talk about proprietary memory cards, a company that wants to restrict and limit buyer choices, worse a company that does not really understand what DSLR users are looking for. Sony will have to work very hard to overcome this, and their current direction does nothing but echo of the "same old Sony" from yesteryear. Stubborn, arrogant..and out of touch with reality. Hard words, but after the recent launches, it's obvious that Sony have merely used the Minolta mount as a step up the ladder, they bought the optics and foot in the door. They have clearly moved away from Minolta thinking for the last 5 bodies, and will likely be even more distant in the following years. I also predict Sony might dump the OVF in lower end bodies, and have a fully EVF LV system, retaining the mount. I also think Sony don't want users buying up s/h Minolta lenses, so they will remove the AF motor from entry bodies even possibly the A5xx future ones.

Some of the better ideas will be there, but only if your wallet says yes (A700 and up). This over simplistic attempt to define the lower to mid point DSLR buyer, is deeply flawed, and will do nothing to enhance their standing among many buyers. Mr. Katsumoto is just one person, but he calls the shots, and his cybershot/handycam experience is worth next to nothing in the unique DSR marketplace.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Reference Barry Fitzgerald's comments above, I will never buy a Sony DSLR withouot an inbuitl motor and I am doubtful about EVIL or EVF after my experience with the R1. Save us from such "regression".
bfitzgerald

I suspect few would agree to a two tier system. If you don't attract enough buyers, they won't be upgrading to anything!
Sony's idea of advanced amateur is well short of the mark. Some users will simply move to another manufacturer if their needs are not met.
The only DSLR maker flooding the market is Sony themselves..5 entry models, no semi pro A700 replacement (yet), A850 was a slightly cut down A900 at a cheaper price, they didn't even bother to re-work the jpeg engine. We must have different ideas about what innovation is :mrgreen:
bfitzgerald

Why not download the Pentax K-x manual, and then come back and let's talk. The A5xx models are not even near that spec wise, so it's far from "Nikon love", other makers are making Sony look like a rank amateur in the market.

In fact I'll list it all here for you, this is what Pentax offer on the K-x
MLU
DOF preview
Multi exposure
Jpeg NR choice of level and when it kicks in (ISO etc)
In camera filters with custom settings
Choice of PEF or DNG
Highlight and shadow mode, with 4 levels or settiings
Lens corrections, distortion and CA
In camera development raw and filters, cropping etc
LCD monitor colour tune options
Photographer info can be saved on exif
Adjustable exposure bracketing far bigger than the 0.7 we're stuck with on some bodies
Choice of 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps for exp compensation
11 point AF with cross sensors
Movie mode
+- 3 stops exp comp
Catch in focus option
Sv mode

The only major downer is the lack of AF points lighting up in the VF, which would be annoying.
Apart from that, I don't think the A5xx models hold up well v that model, unless you love the fast AF lv that is.

So if Pentax can provide for non semi pro level users, with decent features and meeting users needs mostly, and other makers (such as Oly and Canon, Nikon etc) Why keep making excuses for Sony all the time? They have not even managed a good jpeg engine yet, let alone most of that stuff on the list..some of which is more useful than others, but I'd take that over Sony's crude and basic offerings no problems. No wonder some folks complain non camera companies do not meet photographer needs, Sony are doing a fine job of proving that with their 5 entry models.
bfitzgerald

I've read some ignorant posts before, but you're a class act I admit.
Aside from avoiding all of the points I have made, you then proceed to insult me on a personal level.
Nice...I see the DPR fans have made it over :mrgreen:
bfitzgerald

I have a tip for you, a debate is an "exchange of opinions" Keep on topic and you'll be fine (I have no problems with folks who don't share my view), I do have a problem with personal remarks..
Flame bait champ of forums eh?? :lol:
Back to the fans on DPR, that's a nicer comfort zone for you.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Time, gentlemen, please!