PMA round up

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: PMA round up

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

No RAW for videos yet, unless they create a new video system, I guess :?
As for ISO, I think even some P&S have it, bridge cameras do, so EVIL will, for sure.
just my 760 loomas (= 2 cents :wink: )
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Nope, Sony are working on a special type of jpeg file, that will only open on Sony laptops..
Also you have to have an internet connection and pay a subscription fee..so that your camera keeps working. Failure to do so will mean you will be left with a brick.
They will also be adding a new type of memory stick, incompatible with the last one, and it won't be used by anyone else for anything. We'll call it "memory suck" for arguments sake!

Sorry, I was reading too much George Orwell lately ;-)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Omg! shush Barry, don't give em any ideas, you could almost kickstart that JPEG idea with a little bit of effort...just think of all the laptops they could sell...well, maybe a few... :lol:
Greg
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Dr. Harout wrote:No RAW for videos yet, unless they create a new video system, I guess :?
As for ISO, I think even some P&S have it, bridge cameras do, so EVIL will, for sure.
just my 760 loomas (= 2 cents :wink: )

last time I looked at some high end Sony PnS bridge models, there is no manual ISO, full auto ISO only.
About all you can do with a Sony PnS is select scene mode and turn flash off/on (with the few models I played with)
The A230/330/380 look like high end cameras with mega amount of functions compared to the Sony PnS :)
bfitzgerald

Well I hope you folks like a nice touch screen compact with a big sensor ;-)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=34763244

Shall we put Greg down for one now? lol
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ha ha! good one BF, stamp on a dead rat, that got the evangelists steamed....well it's probably a bit better than that, I hope, but at least it looks like Sony have the nich they're aiming this at worked out fairly well, for once, suitably flimflamy, should be a hit in the p&s transition zone if the price is right. Hey, if it can actually take decent photos and the current A mount lenses work on it it might even have some appeal...we'll have to wait and see what power supply (battery type) it uses and what duration it has...hmm touch screen I suppose it had to come, in such a compact bod..what I'm still wondering is, can it AF accurately during video mode, that'll be the make or break I think, if it can only AF with those SAM's it might loose a bit of shine...time will tell.
Greg
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I don't mind the touch screen the ones I have tried were well though out and worked ok. it's a non issue
bfitzgerald

Looking at the photos posted, it looks like the exposure mode is set via the touch-screen. IMO it's just a whole lot easier to have a dial to change, and faster too. Just one example of where a touch screen might not be great for everything.
Depends on how they do it, some touch screen control might work well, if they go for almost everything..that might not be such a good idea.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

these aren;t supposed to compete with DLSRs at the enthusiast range I think if they are done right they will wipe out the entry level. If that happens then the price of admission into the advanced cameras is going to skyrocket. it'll be the market nobody wants to be left with
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Looking at the photos posted, it looks like the exposure mode is set via the touch-screen. IMO it's just a whole lot easier to have a dial to change, and faster too. Just one example of where a touch screen might not be great for everything.
Do you mean setting P, A, S, M? I don't change those much. Usually leave it set on A, but sometimes use M. I guess I change it about once a month.
Last edited by bakubo on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Well, give it a good lens and then in theory these little 'toys' should be as good as an A700 or A550, no? If they would couple it to a hight quality 35/2 or a 16-80/3.5-4.5 SSM, why not? Add a tele, like a compact 150mm or 200mm, why should it be bad? Of course turning knobs is much more fun, but if it's light and the picture quality great, why not?
bfitzgerald

Javelin wrote:these aren;t supposed to compete with DLSRs at the enthusiast range I think if they are done right they will wipe out the entry level. If that happens then the price of admission into the advanced cameras is going to skyrocket. it'll be the market nobody wants to be left with

That kinda contradicts itself a bit ;-)

I never said they were meant to compete with enthusiast level DSLR's, but you have to admit, they are going to have to have a bit more than a smiley face on a touch-screen lcd. People will be looking at what they do, and what they don't do. And some might want something a bit more advanced. If these are not meant to compete with DSLR's, how are they going to wipe out the entry level ones? Odd statement to make.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I don't think the people buying these entry cams care wether they are SLR's or not. they just want better than the P&S cameras they are coming from. everyone thats buying 4/3's and the sony entry cams are buing them because there not the big bulky A700/D90's and 7D's they are cheaper and better than the cameras they are comming from.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm actually pretty excited about the EVIL Alphas. With those covering the entry-level end of the range, and doing all the duties of a P&S for those easily confused amateurs, the DSLRs might have room to grow into the more complex and comprehensive tools that we all want them to be.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

The only problem I can see on the horizon is, lens mount divergence, (it's happening already with the advent of those SAM lenses). DSLR's have a focus motor, (there's no real need to buy a lens with an SSM or a SAM motor when the in body AF works so well, except SSM lenses are supposed to be a lot quieter, so they do have a place), anyway I doubt very much if someone who buys one of these ILC's will ever buy an SSM lens for it (unless they already have one), most of the SSM lenses were rather large and heavy, the handling of these small P&S style bodies with a 70-200 f2.8G (for example) mounted on the front might not be too good. There is still no word on what lenses are going to fully function with them in all respects, for all we know our legacy AF lenses will be relegated to Manual focus only....and if this is so we have divergence, and all those old style AF lenses could face extinction at some point...if the EVIL ILC's etc. are as successful as Sony would like them to be that is.
Greg