Nikon D300s released

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Nikon D300s released

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Roll on FF!

Some will moan about 3fps, but some of us don't really need more. But it has to be priced right, no point a few hundred less than the A900, has to break price barriers, and scare the hell out of Canikon ;-)
I would prefer less mp and maybe a bit more fps, but hey..this will do the job.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Sonolta wrote:3FPS is as slow as molasses. Nikon is doing 6 and 8 FPS on the D300, 7 and 8 FPS on the 300s, the FF D3 is doing 9 and 11FPS, and the d700 is doing 5 and 8FPS. To be honest I hate 3FPS on my KM and I am getting sick of hearing the machine guns surrounding me and my 5FPS a700 pistol when I am out on a shoot. Sure I get plenty of shots but those fast frame rates make the jobs much easier, and my total amount of compelling keepers would rise substantially if I had a faster frame rate. A fast frame rate not only helps with sports and action shooting but but it also help with wildlife, macro, etc, etc, etc..

-Sonolta
Most shooters never use anything more than single shot mode. I know you're a sports shooter and you want FPS up the wazoo, but you are the exception. I can see faster FPS helping w/ wildlife is some situations, but macro? Maybe you're shooting some type of macro most of us never do.

This is FF for the masses, not the sports shooters. If the price point is good, it will be a large draw. Advertising "Get a Full Frame, 24MP DSLR for under $2K" will make heads snap.

Dusty
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I think the limitation is 'SSS' with high frame rates, if you have lots of frames the chance of catching the sensor in-transit increases and with just the right combination of shutter speed, frame rate and sensor transit there might be a good chance of rolling shutter smears....the sensor is scanned from top to bottom....probably they could just incorporate a method of locking the SSS assembly in dead center (only for high frame rates), SSS would not be needed at high frames and shutter speeds anyway.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yep that's pretty good slo-mo alright but an individual frame might turn out to be not much as far as IQ goes. Dang I forgot to check what digicam it was....
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ha ha! good one Don....I'll just bolt the 1TB hard disk onto the bottom of the old A100 and I'm all set....haw :lol:
Greg

ps. Just caught that last post..what is that IMX017CQE sensor? has to be a digicam one for sure....
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Sonolta wrote:
It shoots 60 full-resolution still-frames-per second at 6MP!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08010601casiof1.asp

http://www.adorama.com/ICSEXF1B.html

-Sonolta
Hey! that's getting serious, 60 frames per second at 6MP each, that's a serious cam, and also some data transfer rate and storage use...unless they have worked out a way of ditching all the stuff that's the same in each frame and only keeping the things that are different...
Greg

ps. Just caught that last post again, I was expecting a lot more than US $1000 for it....is that correct?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I think we are in for some very interesting times ahead...
Greg

ps. Yes I had a bit of a read of the link, very impressive processing and bus bandwidth=>storage at 6MP per frame and 60 frames/sec and for only $1000....