Leaving stuff behind

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Leaving stuff behind

Unread post by Vidgamer »

I wanted to talk about the last time I took my A100 on a plane, but I see the topic has drifted! Oh well. I'll just say that it's my tendency to pack light anyways. And yeah, I throw extras like battery chargers in the checked bag.

I used to use Picasa, but tend to use PMB mostly, because at least it recognizes the EXIF. I have used Faststone for batch-resizing, and that is nice for that. For reading EXIF, PhotoMe is really neat. I think Picasa is great for beginners -- it makes printing easy too. One thing I don't quite like is that it puts its name in all of your imported photos, and a second thing I don't like is that it doesn't seem to work like it used to. By that I mean that it used to make non-destructive changes, keeping the original intact, but they seemed to change its behavior, and I never went back. Before, it was the only package that worked like that, but I liked it that way. (Hard to explain I guess.)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote: Point is, due to the 5 kilo hand baggage limit I left behind many things I needed here. I should have put a 50mm f/1.7 in the case, maybe put a spare body in the hold baggage. I cut it down to the minimum and it is VERY difficult to live with no lens faster than f/3.5 - and I really miss the A550 now after going back to using the A900. Too many shots are just not sharp enough on the A900, the A550 has been perfect in that respect.

And I puzzled for days over which one to take. I should have packed on in the bags. Our camera bag came to 5.5kilo with just A900, A700, 18-250, 12-24, 24-85, 70-300, 16mm, 30mm macro, three spare batteries - and all the extra stuff in the suitcases to cut the weight down.

David
Hello David,

How are planning your future trips now that the launch of the NEX cameras is imminent? In my case, there is no question of leaving the A850 at home if I'm traveling (I'm willing to leave the A850 only as a working camera, but I like FF so much ), but the NEX will be my backup camera, even for gigs! specially if the low light performance is at least as good as the A550's.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Depends. I don't think they will let me bring a NEX camera back in the hand baggage :-)

I was still in two minds about the A550 on reviewing all our shots, but mainly it is the A700 I am having doubts about. The A900 is just so much better for noise, and so is the A550. Shirley is always pushing the limits with the A700, I wish it had the A550 sensor in it. Of course the NEX3 will have that, probably even further improved. But Shirley hates EVIL (or no-finder-at-all) cameras.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

David Kilpatrick wrote:Depends. I don't think they will let me bring a NEX camera back in the hand baggage :-)
You are talking about the press conference next week, right?

I think the A700 is an excellent camera -the noise issues doesn't really shows up when printing. it is true that it isn't as sharp as the A100/A350 or A550 (I haven't tried the last tow models) but with a good lens on it, the quality of the image, the detail and micro-contrast is outstanding.

The Sensors on the NEX (and the A7XX BTW) will be optimized for video and we don't know yet if it will be at least as good for stills as the Sensor on the A550 -I think Sony will be targeting Hipsters, educated consumers and pros with the need of a high quality small body camera, same as the GF1, not Soccer moms/pops that want to upgrade from their Cybershots. I expect Sony to putting in the best quality available (and fun stuff like the sweep panorama, face detection, HDR, GPS and WiFi, etc) and I imagine this cameras as the perfect tool for travel photography (even if the final output will be stock image!)

I understand Shirley not liking anything that miss a proper viewfinder, and I understand people who doesn't like the idea of a camera with touch screen (the touch screen on the Cybershot T series ain't 100% reliable and/or fast IMHO) but if they come with a touch screen a la iPhone or HTC-HD2 and a smart interface, more than one will change their point of view about this -In any case, Sony's video about the NEX doesn't show a touch screen...

I'm looking forward to see if for once Sony will surprise us with more than just the price.

regards

Pako
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

pakodominguez wrote:I imagine this cameras as the perfect tool for travel photography (even if the final output will be stock image!)
Pako, in your opinion, what characteristics of a camera makes a "perfect tool for travel photography"?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bakubo wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:I imagine this cameras as the perfect tool for travel photography (even if the final output will be stock image!)
Pako, in your opinion, what characteristics of a camera makes a "perfect tool for travel photography"?
A digital Minolta CLE with a 24mm; 35mm and 90mm Macro; at least 14 MP and 1080P
GPS and WiFi and an APP (iPhone, Android or Windows Mobile) for customize everything (EXIF, copyright, keywording, editing and anything else that you can imagine)
:-)
Pako
------------
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

pakodominguez wrote: A digital Minolta CLE with a 24mm; 35mm and 90mm Macro; at least 14 MP and 1080P
GPS and WiFi and an APP (iPhone, Android or Windows Mobile) for customize everything (EXIF, copyright, keywording, editing and anything else that you can imagine)
:-)
I haven't been following the NEX camera so I didn't know it had all that. Yes, some travel photographers go for the lightest, smallest kit possible. I like that too because it has many advantages, but tend to compromise on the size and weight and carry more in order to get more flexibility. There is no right answer, of course.

Funny thing is that so many times in the past I have had people tell me that they wouldn't think of traveling with anything less than a couple of big, heavy DSLRs, several big, heavy f2.8 zooms, one or two fast primes, big flash, tripod, etc. and that I don't know what I am doing not carrying the same stuff. Then in just the last few months I have seen several people (Michael Reichmann, a few people on forums, you, etc.) say that for them when they travel they can't even handle what I carry and take much smaller, lighter kits than I do. I think it is the difference between people who just sit at home dreaming about what they would do and the people who actually do it! :)

David, of course, is more macho than me because he carries even more than I do! :)
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bakubo wrote: Funny thing is that so many times in the past I have had people tell me that they wouldn't think of traveling with anything less than a couple of big, heavy DSLRs, several big, heavy f2.8 zooms, one or two fast primes, big flash, tripod, etc. and that I don't know what I am doing not carrying the same stuff. Then in just the last few months I have seen several people (Michael Reichmann, a few people on forums, you, etc.) say that for them when they travel they can't even handle what I carry and take much smaller, lighter kits than I do. I think it is the difference between people who just sit at home dreaming about what they would do and the people who actually do it! :)
I just hauled my whole kit with me to Yellowstone NP--in a Mazda Miata--and all I ever used was the beercan (at f/8-14, most of the time) and a tiny Cybershot TX7. I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll pack a lot differently the next time I travel.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

This is an interesting read. I leave for Milwuakee on Monday for some training... I want to bring my whole kit, but I may pare it down a bit... Gotta think on this one. I'm thinking body, kit lens, 100-300, 10-20 sig, and 50 1.7. I can put the tripod in checked (I may want to do IR....) Dunno about the 56 flash. John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

KevinBarrett wrote:I just hauled my whole kit with me to Yellowstone NP--in a Mazda Miata--and all I ever used was the beercan (at f/8-14, most of the time) and a tiny Cybershot TX7. I know exactly what you're talking about. I'll pack a lot differently the next time I travel.
Kevin, if I am going by car then I am willing to take more and heavier gear (and usually do), but when I travel with a backpack for weeks then I definitely have to think things over a lot more before packing. :)

A long road trip in a Miata doesn't sound too comfortable! :)
Last edited by bakubo on Fri May 07, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I'll be going to Rome soon for a week and I think I'll go light. I think of taking just the CZ16-80 as my main lens (hoorayy, it has just arrived!!) and probably the 70-210/4 as zoom.

Then, I have to see if I can resist to also bring the 50/1.7 and the Sigma 10-20 and a tripod...

Will definitely not take the 28-135, the 28-75/2.8, the Sigma 70-300, the 135/2.8 ... hold on - what about taking the 135/2.8 as light zoom rather than the beercan? And a small 1.4TC... might have to test this out a bit! Anybody experience with that?
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Those trunks on the back are 64 quarts apiece, just large enough for a generous sleeping bag and a few other odds and ends. The camera bag, a Lowepro Nova4 AW, rode up front with us on the back parcel shelf where the folded-down top would normally go. Sadly, the bag doesn't really accommodate the a700 + beercan combo, so most of the time the first thing I did when I wanted to get a shot on the go was swap lenses. That's another tip: get a bag that will accommodate any of your frequent-use lenses attached to your camera. Later in the trip when I noticed what I was doing, I just kept the 70-210/4 on the camera and laid it up in the parcel shelf for quicker access.

The TX7 rode in the little center-console cubby beneath the CD player.
Attachments
DSC03727w.jpg
DSC03727w.jpg (323.7 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Andy B
Heirophant

Unread post by Andy B »

bossel wrote:I'll be going to Rome soon for a week and I think I'll go light. I think of taking just the CZ16-80 as my main lens (hoorayy, it has just arrived!!) and probably the 70-210/4 as zoom.

... hold on - what about taking the 135/2.8 as light zoom rather than the beercan? And a small 1.4TC... might have to test this out a bit! Anybody experience with that?
Interesting question. I've been debating taking the 135/2.8 and a 1.4x TC to Italy vs. my Sony 55-200 zoom. Right now I'm leaning toward the 55-200--versatility vs. speed. I'm also debating whether to take my 50/1.4 vs. maybe picking up a used 24mm/2.8 to use on my A700, as I've read some posts about the 50 being too long (i.e., too many people blocking the field of view at crowded attractions). The 16-80 will also be my main lens, and I will never be able to convince myself to leave the Tamron 11-18 home.

My son toured Brussels and Germany last spring using just the Canon G10 I bought him. Sometimes I'm tempted to do likewise Would sure make packing a lot easier!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Andy B wrote:Interesting question. I've been debating taking the 135/2.8 and a 1.4x TC to Italy vs. my Sony 55-200 zoom.
I haven't seen the 55-200mm but is it big? I would expect it wouldn't be much bigger or heavier than the 135mm + TC, maybe lighter. In that case, I would take the 55-200mm.
Andy B wrote: I'm also debating whether to take my 50/1.4 vs. maybe picking up a used 24mm/2.8 to use on my A700, as I've read some posts about the 50 being too long (i.e., too many people blocking the field of view at crowded attractions).
Yes, a 50mm (75mm fov) on the A700 is not of much use -- at least for me. I also have a 24mm which has a 36mm fov and that is useful. I often go out at night while traveling and use the 24mm on the A700. The f2.8 is generally fast enough, often shooting at f3.2 or f3.5 and ISO 800-1600, sometimes faster. I used it in Egypt in 2009 and Morocco in 2006, for example.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Wow Kevin- that is some old-school travelling. I'm impressed. If I did that with Dannelle, all that would be her stuff- no room for mine!
I did have a wild idea- I may ditch the 28-85 flash and maybe 50-1.7, and pack the 645 and 2 lenses....
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!