PMA rumours?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: PMA rumours?

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

If Sony had just brought in the Minolta Macro flash system unchanged, (and most likely charged like a wounded bull for it), I would have been happy in the knowledge that Sony knew what they were doing with 'still' Macro photography, or they would have given the impression that they did, even if they didn't.
Alas they decided that the twin flash (good for forensic, lab, medical type stuff, where you don't have the unpredictable events that can happen in the field at night), was enough 'macro flash' for anyone, so they removed the plug for the other Macro flash option from the controller, (the aforementioned four tube individual switchable on/off, with modeling light, Minolta Ring flash). Now Sony effectively do not have a Macro flash 'in the field' type unit...the mind boggles.
If they still had the original unit unchanged I would buy the complete set, the controller plus the two different flash assemblies for it.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The appeal pf the Minolta design is that each of the four tubes can be turned on or off separately, and all the power is distributed to however many tubes are on use. It can thus create very directional, all round, side-to-wide, top-to-bottom, 45 degree or one-sided wrap round light - which can also be rotated.

Add to this a workable modelling light, which allows AF, and the macro flash was probably the best such flash ever made - as well as being way ahead of its time. Mine is for sale on eBay, I am getting a cheap TTL-compliant simple ringflash to replace it because I am not able to use it (full power only). I can now obtain very small LED lights which are OK for the focusing aid.

Had Minolta originally used a controller with manual power - it's a mystery why they did not - the flash units would have remained perfectly useful. It was the combination of TTL-only, and broken TTL with digital, which made the 1200AF-n kit obsolete.

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Surely Sony could update the original design to make it fully compliant with digital bodies?

Hard to see how anyone is going to go for their current offerings.
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Javelin wrote:The Sigma is plenty strong and seems to have a very nice and short flash duration. you can set ratio between the 2 flash tubes and has a modeling light function. They do have Sony fit for this although it just Says SO-ADI on their site in the details it names sony and I know the Sigma distributor here has stock on them.
I remember the old minolta dual controller and regret selling it (although it went towards my daughter's car at the time) and it always struck me as strange decision not to continue with the same version under the Sony badge and replace it with an expensive torch.

I now have the sigma and am very happy with it. I would say its not as flexible as the old minolta 2 vs 4 tubes but can be adjusted. I would also say the build quality is not as high although perfectly adequate!Image
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Back to rumours..

Ran across this on dyxum..

http://fotomateforum.net/viewtopic.php? ... ns/auto/en

Translation of sorts!:

"Another line in the source had tonight.
The new E-3 mount cameras during the PMA (21-23 Feb) in a glass to see. It should not be photographed them.
That basically means that they have not quite finished. We are just warmed.
Well anyway we can quickly see where it all goes.

In Japan I had heard that 2 of the new E-Mounts Cameras and NEX 3 NEX 5 be called.
Very probably the 3rd camera called NEX 1.
There will definitely EXMOOR in APS-C sensors.
View Finders are similar to the Pen EP 1 optional hiccup!hiccup!!!

Sony wants to quickly sell off 200 and 300 series. Was not a very big success. (Understatement)

This does not mean that the 3XX series disappears.
Around June, again with a new 3XX hiccup!hiccup!hiccup!hiccup!hiccup!hiccup!hiccup!hiccup!hiccup!hiccup!
Weather in the familiar "heavy" version with a vertical grip accessory.
About the return of the 2XX I have heard nothing"

Make of that what you may..
If that's right, then there is nothing "real" at PMA, just these new ILC models in glass cases.

I'd be interested to see what happens with the entry DSLR models, I believe it would be a good thing to trim that down to 1 or 2 models at most, but I wouldn't see ILC's as being suitable replacements to DSLR models.
So I expect them to continue with entry DSLR's, at least one anyway.

Sounds like Sony have dumped the small newbie designs, they've wasted an awful lot of money on something many knew wouldn't work...yeah feels good to say, "told you so" lol
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

That's a pity David, sounds like you have the Minolta model that's one model too early, does your one still have the i-shoe? or is it the older ISO shoe type? I think there were two i-shoe models, the Macro Ring Flash 1200 model was the last one made by Minolta I think, and that's the one that is compatible with the KM7D, KM5D, A100 etc. (as far as I know), and the most rare.
Greg
http://ca.konicaminolta.com/products/co ... ashes.html

ps. Sorry Barry, I saw your post just before I posted, but I wanted to clarify the above with David.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I always thought Sony was gobsmacked by the success of the Nikon D40 and that's the reason for the introduction of those A230, A330 and A380 models, (although three D40-ish models seemed an overkill). The problem for Sony was it was probably already too late for a Sony D40 version when they decided to build one (or three), the people who thought it was such a good idea to buy a small light uncompicated DSLR had already done so by the time Sony got theirs on the shelves.
Sony would have done better to concentrate on something like the Samsung NX10 (what's the proposed Sony model? NEX something or other), as a bridge for ex P&S shooters (ages ago),instead of copying Nikon, now they'll have to try and copy Samsung or Panasonic, and both will be established in the market place by the time Sony gets it's act together.
Greg
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Minolta had the MFC 1000 controller that works perfectly with the 1200 (this is what the last minlta set was called) and 1200af-n ring unit on the new cameras. That controller had the right flash foot and everything. there so rare now, the controller alone sells regularly for 900-1500 bucks on ebay whenever one turns up. Adorama has had them in the past but they get snapped up pretty quickly if you can determine which it is. There not good at identifying them. So in answer they already had it. Sony (as walt says) vandalized it into what it is today on the twinflash. It's too expensive to just buy and try and convert it to operate the ring. and theres no schematics around to see if that is even possible.
bfitzgerald wrote:Surely Sony could update the original design to make it fully compliant with digital bodies?

Hard to see how anyone is going to go for their current offerings.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

bfitzgerald wrote:The new E-3 mount cameras during the PMA (21-23 Feb)...
I hope there will be something in for us DSLR users!! :?
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

bossel wrote:...I hope there will be something in for us DSLR users!! :?
I'm afraid just a cynical laugh from Nikanon users :evil:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

Dr. Harout wrote:
bossel wrote:...I hope there will be something in for us DSLR users!! :?
I'm afraid just a cynical laugh from Nikanon users :evil:
Those guys will be seeing their EVIL cameras soon enough.

I do expect at least something for us, though,

Dulaney
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Winedarksea wrote:

Dulaney
As Gustav pointed out, we will see 2-3 EVILs. But no DSLRs and probably no new lenses/accessories I'm afraid. :(
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Dr. Harout wrote:
Winedarksea wrote:

Dulaney
As Gustav pointed out, we will see 2-3 EVILs. But no DSLRs and probably no new lenses/accessories I'm afraid. :(
He didn't say there would be no lenses or accessories. I'm pretty sure there will be. And I'm not totally convinced there will be no Alpha cameras. Suppose Gustav asked them about whether the A7xx or A9xx would be ready, but they have another camera, say an A6xx, ready. I don't think they would have divulged it. And Thom Hogan, as of a few days ago, was thinking they would bring only mockups under glass of the EVIL cameras, but actual A7xx cameras. He may be out of touch, of course.

Dulaney
Winedarksea
Heirophant

More PMA Rumors

I'm beginning to get the feeling that more will be announced on Sunday than just a pair of E-mount cameras--as exciting for many as that is.

Gustav, who posts here as Kingfisher, but on Dyxum as ijsvogel, has posted a series of messages on Dyxum in the last couple of days that tell me he knows something new that he is very excited about. First, he stated, as he had before, that there would be three E-mount cameras at PMA, but no Alpha-mount cameras--the latter would come later. Then he corrected himself--clearly having heard from a Sony rep--stating that there would be only two E-mount cameras announced at PMA, but adding: "Let's wait a few day's, and see what happend." This was followed by three emoticons: thumbs up, tongue out with eyes blinking, and a hug. In a subsequent post he said: "and read brtween this words . . . . LET SEE WHAT HAPPENED." I have never seen Gustav so effusive.

Then this afternoon, SonyAlphaRumors, which has been getting things right here recently, said that the NEX 7, a larger E-mount camera with a built-in EVF, would be announced in September, and would use the pro video format, XDCAM. Others have indicated that this camera will also have some dramatic new tech.

Shortly after that, SonyAlphaRumors posted another brief story. Here it is in its entirety: "SONY IS STRIKING BACK! MANY NEW CAMERAS ON PMA! Finally Sony is striking back! Follow us because Sony is going to announce awesome new cameras on PMA!"

A poster on SAR then said the there would be in 2010: a new A3xx series in June (Gustav said the same); what I take to be a new A5xx series ("new 5 camera"); an entirely new series (A650?); and the new A7xx. Somehow, he doesn't sound like he is guessing.

I am hearing now of announcements by Sony at PMA, at CP+ in Yokohama on March 11, in June, In August, and in September. Sounds like a far cry from last year.

To top it off, I have been told privately that others are very excited. I am certainly hoping, and cautiously optimistic, that our excitement is justified.

MORE: I cannot keep up with SonyAlphaRumors today: They are predicting the announcement of the A7xx on Sunday. They say it is a level 4 prediction--just short of certain. Here it is:
You asked it and Sony answered you! On Sunday (yeah PMA starts this Sunday!) Sony is going to announce the A700 successor. The A700 successor is a camera you can’t compare with other Alpha cameras! It is the first Sony Alpha camera which records video! And not that crappy video you have seen in other cameras. I was told that the A700 successor will outperform every other Canon-Nikon camera (like the recently announced Canon 550D/T2i.
Dulaney
Last edited by Winedarksea on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dulaney, if all of this comes to pass soon then it will be very exciting. I am not dissatisfied with my A700, except the QC, but I have started thinking about what I will do this year to update since my A700 is not as reliable as previous Canon DSLRs and Minolta FSLRs. Not sure I want to give any more money to Sony unless I have more confidence that they are going to have better offerings than what we saw in 2009 and they have improved their QC. The trouble with QC problems is that you can wait several months after the release (which is what I always do) thinking that the problems will be discovered and maybe even fixed by then, but then still get sucker punched. That has always worked with Canon, but not with KM and Sony. I waited over 6 months after the KM 7D came out before I bought and over 6 months before buying the Sony A700. Naturally, I then discovered problems with both. :(
Last edited by bakubo on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.