EXMOR - ClearVid Sony CMOS

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
A1000

EXMOR - ClearVid Sony CMOS

Unread post by A1000 »

http://www.sony.ca/hdv/files/white/Prom ... COMS_e.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; EXMOR - ClearVid page 7: Company P = Panasonic

http://www.sony.ca/hdv/files/white/HDV_ ... Primer.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: EXMOR - ClearVid Sony CMOS

Unread post by alphaomega »

A1000 is again doing his bit to promote Sony products. Since most of us are interested in DSLRs rather than video we could do with some of this technology being incorporated in a new line of Alpha DSLRs
Exmor™ Noise Reduction Technology
Sony developed the new Exmor technology specifically for CMOS sensors. Under this system, an A/D converter is
installed next to each pixel line (an arrangement referred to as column-parallel A/D conversion), so that the analog
signals are almost immediately digitized.
In a conventional sensor, the analog signal generated by each pixel’s amplifier must travel to a distant A/D converter
(Fig. 13). Analog signals are very susceptible to noise, and become increasingly noisy the further they travel. Exmor
brings the A/D converters much closer to the pixels, reducing the exposure to noise. The design also employs
sophisticated digital CDS noise cancellation, which works by measuring the noise prior to conversion and then canceling
the noise after the conversion. This new system, which operates both before and after conversion, is much more
precise then conventional analog-only CDS implementations
In view of the criticism of excessive noise in Sony Alpha DSLRs compared with Canon and Nikon (mostly using Sony sensors) I would suggest that Sony should do more to make use of their Exmor Noise reduction technology in the next range of Alphas. What is the point of boasting of an in house technology if they do not exploit it to its fullest extent in their star products. A900 v. D3X and certainly the initial A700 v. D300.

So Sony let us faithful Alpha users get some products bristling with Sony's best technology. We want more Mp with less noise and a wider DR for a start in APS-C as well as FF. Top quality IQ to beat all competition. Come out with the right successor to my A700 at a reasonable price and I will purchase one.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The general idea in my view, is not to worry too much about these so called NR techniques. But to simply have less noise being produced in the ist place!
Well, jpeg processing is one area that needs improvement..but for sensor tech, the less noise there is to wrestle with, the less hassle you have processing it!

Simply really ;-)

I agree that more DR would be nice, but disagree with more megapixels..esp on APS, you will get a very limited return going from 12mp to 15mp, tiny increase in the real world.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

I would like to see a line of FF cameras costing 2x as much as APS-C. That means $1,000 FF model. Sony software people suck. That is why they can't come up w/decent algorithm for the noise control. The problem is the half-blind Stringer. I wonder if they show him prototypes and he goes "this is is; this looks good"
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I doubt Stringer has much to do with it..surely somebody else's baby, CEO's tend to spend much time in meetings/sleeping/drinking ;-) and the like..

I don't think we will have to wait too much longer to see a lower end FF war kick off, surely the way forward..they are running out of space on APS to deliver their pixel numbers. £1000 sounds like an ok price point, I think it can be done..
I can work without a 100% VF, I don't need 8FPS, hey even a good quality plastic body could do the job (film 7!)..lots of areas to cut back on if needed.

Not sure who devised the sony jpeg routines, but they leave something to be desired, why can't they just go out and buy a 40d or something, and rip it apart..copy the jpeg engine (kind of) and be done with it!
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

They have software people writing games, make video editing software, doing PS Live, cell phone content downloads. They have to keep up with Nokia, Microsoft, Nintendo, and they don't have enough resources. They bough out Sound Foundry. They need to buy out some Chinese and Indian software houses, but they are broke. Stringer is just doing a poor job.