Anything new from Sony at Focus?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
harvey
Oligarch

Re: Anything new from Sony at Focus?

Unread post by harvey »

I asked Jacobs how much the A900 vertical grip was - around £260 I think. They said the price would
go up dramatically after the show.
But I did not get one - I have only used my 800si grip a few times (came free with the camera).

I was chatting to someone at The Flash Centre who was of the opinion that the camera manufacturers
are like the printer ones, they want to make margin on the accessories. I have no idea what
the economics are but it is clear that some of these alpha accessories are pretty expensive. I can't imagine
the componet parts are very expensive and there is not much R&D cost in something converted from
the KM range.
TallPaul
Acolyte

Unread post by TallPaul »

The grip was like £229 a while back, now it seems to be £279, I think I will wait for the price to fall a bit again, unless I see a killer deal anywhere.

I just started a portrait course at the local college, and I can see the advantage of one for portrait work for sure, but the camera still takes a good picture without one!
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

harvey wrote:I was chatting to someone at The Flash Centre who was of the opinion that the camera manufacturers
are like the printer ones, they want to make margin on the accessories. I have no idea what
the economics are but it is clear that some of these alpha accessories are pretty expensive. I can't imagine
the componet parts are very expensive and there is not much R&D cost in something converted from
the KM range.
Yes, it seems that the Sony flash shoe converter is almost 10x the price of aftermarket. I hope aftermarket manufacturers come up with a grip as well. I don't mind paying for a good camera, but accessories at those prices make me say no thanks!

Dusty