Why does Sony say the NP-FM55H can't be used in the a700?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
stracat
Acolyte

Why does Sony say the NP-FM55H can't be used in the a700?

Unread post by stracat »

They say the NP-FM500H can be used in the A100 but not the other way around, Why is this?
RomeoD
Acolyte

Unread post by RomeoD »

As I understand it...

The new battery has a chip that the a700 is looking for when connected. It tells the camera precisely how much charge is left. If the chip is not there, the camera will not run. Conversely - the battery does not care who uses it, so either the a100 or the a700 may.
stracat
Acolyte

alpha 700 battery

Unread post by stracat »

I found that the 700 battery has a slit down the side I didn't notice that before I posted thank you
Beakydave
Initiate

Unread post by Beakydave »

RomeoD wrote:As I understand it...

The new battery has a chip that the a700 is looking for when connected. It tells the camera precisely how much charge is left. If the chip is not there, the camera will not run. Conversely - the battery does not care who uses it, so either the a100 or the a700 may.
Will this make it harder/more exepnsive to obtain 3rd party spares? My Uniross NP400s have been fine in my 7D, costing a fraction of the originals
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

Beakydave wrote:
RomeoD wrote:As I understand it...
My Uniross NP400s have been fine in my 7D, costing a fraction of the originals
That is useful to know. Thanks.

By luck I managed to get an extra pair before Konica/Minolta gave up so now I have 2+1/2 pairs for use in the VC7D. I keep the AA holder handy to so that AAs can be used in emergency.

My past experience of Uniross NiMh AA has been less than good - not holding their charge for more than a couple of days, but then since about Sept 2005 I have been using Ansmann AA and chargers. Of that latter I have three types each with unique plus points.

The Digispeed 4 (AA and AAA) provides a rapid charge - one that I often take away with me, the AAA useful for the little penlight I keep in my camera bag.

The Energy 4 (AA, AAA and PP3) has diagnostic functions - showed up the odd dead Uniross in sets of 4 that were letting the side down. It is amazing how often one in a 4 pack can be duff on holding a charge for long causing trouble for the set.

The Powerline 4 (AA and AAA has a useful discharge - recharge capability as well as diagnostics. I am not sure if this model is still available.

Sorry to drift off strict topic.

Now for completely off topic, but don't children's toys irritate when they use them in threes and we charge them in strictly kept sets of 4.
:x
I mark mine in some way so as to identify sets.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin