A700 water resistance

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Armen Gharib
Oligarch

Re: A700 water resistance

Unread post by Armen Gharib »

Thank you guys, but I couldn't imagine that it could be from the kit lens!
Now I use both SAL18-70 and Tamron 17-50 on my A700 although every time I change the lenses, I learned from Doc. how to play with lenses (especially with USSR ones) :lol: and now it is illness for me he is to blame :D :D !

Armen
A550, Minolta 50/2.8Mc, Minolta 70-210/4, SAM 18-55, SAL75-300, Minolta 50/2.7, Samyang 14/2.8
http://ag.photoblogs.am/index.php?x=browse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

the only reason I said the kit is because it seems to be a very open lens and may provide a path to the mirror box for dust to travel when the parts move the air around insde the lens
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The A900 has no rubber seal for the card door. Instead, they used a 'labyrinth' design to prevent water getting in. The card slots have sealing for the card itself. All the buttons and controls of the 900 have an additional flexible gasket internally to prevent water and dust entering. This sealing has a better rating than the A700. It was highlighted during the A900 launch. There is no sealing for the battery door at all, which is a mystery. I did not manage to photograph the screen shot which showed the position of all the gasket seals.

David
I have to say, that is a disappointment. The a700 has flexible gaskets as well, but it is strange that Sony would make the a700 more resistant than the a900. It remains to be seen exactly what the difference is in practice, though the pictures below suggest the a900 is quite durable in the hands of a sponsored professional. I hope future 700 and 900 class cameras have at least as much protection as the a700. Does anybody know whether the VG-C90AM is as well thought-out as the VG-C70AM, providing weather resistance to the battery compartments?

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I'm stunned that anyone could let their very expensive camera gear get into that state (last photo).
Although I do a lot of outdoor shooting in rain, wind, dusty conditions, they never looked that bad.

For rain something like this is very cheap yet reasonably effective unless using zoom lenses. http://www.newprouk.co.uk/OPT%20rainsleeve.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have in the past used a clear plastic bag with elastic bands around the lens for rainy days.

I'm sure there are many other similar and more sophisticated product available.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

mikeriach wrote:I'm stunned that anyone could let their very expensive camera gear get into that state (last photo)
I totally agree :?
mikeriach wrote:I'm sure there are many other similar and more sophisticated product available
I bought this item a couple of years ago, although from a different ebay seller, and it lives in the boot of my car.

It's ideal with a normal kit sized lens or by unfolding a tucked away hood it can be used with the very largest of lenses. I've used it with my Min 300 f4 on a tripod and it was as snug as a bug in rug.

I got soaked though, but that's a different tale :lol:

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
KevinBarrett

Ooh, thank you for the links, Brian! These look handy! I'll have to find me some stateside so that I don't have to test my trust in the a700's weather proofing very much.

The pictures above are either very well sponsored or the photographer is making enough money that he doesn't care about rapidly depreciating a $5k kit (these pictures were out before the prices came down). Either way, it's irresponsible to glamorize this kind of abuse, just like the jerks that pour pitchers of water on their Nikon D3s.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bonneville
Grand Caliph

KevinBarrett wrote:..... just like the jerks that pour pitchers of water on their Nikon D3s.
What :!: You have to be joking
KevinBarrett

bonneville wrote:
KevinBarrett wrote:..... just like the jerks that pour pitchers of water on their Nikon D3s.
What :!: You have to be joking
Wish I was. Unfortunately http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpiTJ3_Jugo
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bonneville
Grand Caliph

KevinBarrett wrote:Wish I was. Unfortunately http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpiTJ3_Jugo
Good grief :roll:

Mind you, those bricks certainly resemble what I'd expect to see in a psychiatric institution. Probably made of rubber :lol:

Thanks Kevin
KevinBarrett

Well, the one I work in has light blue walls, purple and blue accents, and one small room out of view with blue vinyl padded walls, but then, we work with kids. I watched the video again, by the way, secretly hoping that he'd kill his camera this time.

I'm still curious whether the VG-C90AM gives any protection to the a900. Anybody?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

The last year I was with my a700 + Sony 11-18mm took some picture on July 4th and it was raining.
My camera was wet together the lens and I didn´t have problem with them... :wink:
ruthless
Initiate

Unread post by ruthless »

I carry my a700 on my kayak...no problems yet!
Cory "ruthless" Routh
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Armen Gharib wrote:Hi

2 weeks ago when it was raining I was capturing some photos because there were some nice landscapes!!
After I finished my A700 got all wet. I was trying to keep it under my wears and so on but in vain, because it was raining cats and dogs!
Frankly, when water got in all buttons and everywhere I thought that something can happen but in favour of me nothing happened!
It is very ineteresting to me what experience do you have with A700 concerning the water resistance???
Thank you in advance

Armen
Coming from Latinamerica (Peru) sorce of inspiration thanks to the magical realism, I'm totally surprised about this "cats and dogs rain": I'd never seen something like that in my life!

During the trip to Peru last month, we spent the first day in Macchu Picchu under the rain, some time heavy rain. I brought my equipment on a Domke belt pack that has it own rain cover, and a camera cover from Storm jacket (http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/defau ... info=storm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; jacket) that will work better with a long zoom than it worked with the 17-35 f 2.8-4 and 28-75 f2.8... in any case I got my photographs and the camera got protected. But even if I dried everithing with a couple of bandanas I always carry with me, and I leaved the lens and bags open overnight, I suffer condensation on the lenses the day after -it went away by itself after a half hour, only the fisheye (a cheap brand X I got not that long ago) gave me hard time; I sent it for CLA a couple of weeks ago.

Regarding cold weather, I use to go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden during the coldest winter days because I love to find refuge in the green house (the tropical forest area is my favorite). I got there one day we were enduring -17 celsius in NYC -that weekend I got the A900 from the Adorama Rentals and I was just playing with it. A900 and A700 worked perfectly, same sitution with my Minolta Lenses and the Sony/Zeiss that came witht the A900 kit (24-70 f2.8; 85 f1.4; 70-200 f2.8) I only had a problem with the Tamrom 70-200 f2.8: the aperture blades got stuck and I had to came into the greenhouse every 2 minues in order to get the lens to work for a little while . I understood why the lens cost half price the Sony one... (I still like the optical quality of this lens)

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;