HVL-f58AM vs. Metz 58 AF-1

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
skipping stone
Acolyte

HVL-f58AM vs. Metz 58 AF-1

Unread post by skipping stone »

So I stumbled across this forum board and really glad I did

I purchased an a100 a couple of years back shot some wedding photos for friends and within less than two years I have stumbled into bookings for the entire summer. I plan on upgrading much of my equipment in the next two weeks before things really kick off. I need to know if anybody has shot with both the Sony HVL-f58am and the Metz 58 AF-1 and have a preference. They both look like they are amazing guns but I want know from current shooters what is "the Best" for weddings and such.

2nd question how much time does the External Battery Adapter for Flash (FA-EB1AM) cut off of the recycle time on the f58 or f56( I bought the older model a couple years back as well) (any good aftermarket brands for this as well)

Than you so much for fielding my questions

Justin
david antony
Viceroy

Re: HVL-f58AM vs. Metz 58 AF-1

Unread post by david antony »

Hi & Welcome Justin:

Here are are couple of links for you.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/category/ ... ash-units/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Using the External Pack on the HVL-F58AM should cut recycling time down to roughly 2.5 seconds - there is no reference in the handbook. NiMH cells allow 3 seconds when fresh, alkalines need 5 seconds. Using the high power external source is normally a bit more efficient than using fresh NiMH cells, so at least 3 seconds and I would expect better. These are full power figures.

Please note that if you use the flash in Shutter priority mode on the A700 or A900, a range up to 1/200th can be set on full power and by pressing the HSS mode button, you can select faster shutter speeds as needed for direct synchro-sun fill in on wedding portraits, groups etc. The A350 and A300 offer an interesting angle on this with live view, using high shutter speeds in Manual mode where the LV brightness accurately reflects the exposure. This allows you to adjust for a church interior, an outdoor scene when people are inside or under a gazebo/arches/church door etc looking towards the outside, a stained glass window etc. The flash will then fill in accurately for the foreground (but you must be sure to work at ISO 400 or the HSS function won't be able to expose sufficiently).

David
skipping stone
Acolyte

Thanks for the input so far... it is nice to know that others out there appreciate and understand the variety of products out there.

I checked out the articles posted but have yet to find someone who has shot both and their personal takes on one versus the other.

Here is my dilemma I can get the metz for a little over 300 dollars with a student discount but the axillary battery pack is about 300 dollars also totaling 600 ish dollars

The Sony I get a 100 off the price if I buy it with the 700 bringing it down to 400 dollars and the battery pack is 200 from B&H again 600 dollars

I would naturally go toward sony's, but I have seen lots of reviews saying sony's hot shoe mount is a little weak and I dont think that I can get an extended warranty on the flash (love the accidental coverage). I need to trust that nothing is "fragile" on my camera so I can focus on getting the shots I need, not babying the flash.

The metz looks like it could be good in reagrds to the 1/4 power secondary but I am really not thrilled about a 300 plus dollar aux pack.

Anybody know if the Metz has a weaker or stronger hot shoe mount?

Sorry for the ranting you guys have been great

Justin
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The Sony hot shoe and lock is better than the Metz. Comments about the shoe being weak are frequent enough but apply to the design of the shoe (and they are a result of misunderstanding how it works - it is not meant to be tightly clamped like a locked ISO hot shoe). In my experience Metz flash guns are extremely well made, but the HVL-F58AM is something different. For one thing, the Metz is only a slave wireless unit, and can not be used as a wireless commander - and it lacks a load of functions found on the Sony. I would go for the gun which acts as a full wireless commander even I did not yet have remote flashes, or an Alpha 900 for which the 58 is an essential accessory. Without the Sony 58, you can't do wireless flash at all on the A900.

David
skipping stone
Acolyte

Hey David,

Thank you so much for your input on this I think I will be ordering the the HVL. The information on the Shot shoe really helped. It is also nice knowing that the HVLf58am is a Commander I notice that with the metz it was a commander for nikon canon and pentax mounts but not sony.

Anyway Thanks so much for your assistance.

Justin