tripods and monopods

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: tripods and monopods

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Depends on the situation. Hand holding a 300mm 2.8 ,lens is more than I can take when shooting wildlife or sports. The monopod comes in handy.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi Superman,
It depends on what do you mean by tripod or monopod.
I don't have a monopod, just a Slik tripod which frankly don't use it much. Rather I rely on my bipod, and very rarely on natural "tripod" :lol: (if you get what I mean).
Now seriously, when you have a SSS you put your tripod/monopod aside (and that's one of the major points that Sony/Pentax win over C/N, lens being another). I just use my tripod (not the natural one) when using telelens such as my MTO1000 (1100mm catadioptric lens/ mirror lens).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have just bought a Sony 70-400 G zoom and it is hand holdable but extra support such a sitting or finding a suitable tree branch is preferable if you are
planning an extended photo session and don't have a monopod/tripod handy.

I do carry a Manfrotto monopod with a ball head if I am doing any field walking or sports shooting these days. Better safe than sorry.

My tripod I use mainly for landscape or architectural shots more often as an aid to compostion than as a physical necessity.