Minolta X700

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
waynehowes
Acolyte

Minolta X700

Unread post by waynehowes »

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I'm wondering if you can help. I have an Alpha 200 and I have a chance to purchase a very cheap Minolta x700 with loads of lens'. I'm wondering if the lens will work with the Alpha?

Cheers in advance.

Wayne
harveyzone
Oligarch

Re: Minolta X700

Unread post by harveyzone »

waynehowes wrote:I have an Alpha 200 and I have a chance to purchase a very cheap Minolta x700 with loads of lens'. I'm wondering if the lens will work with the Alpha?
Not directly - no. They will need an adapter of some sort. Unless they are very good lenses, or very cheap it is probably not worth the effort.

It is a good camera if you fancy a play with film though.
--
Tom
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

waynehowes wrote:Hi all,
This is my first post here. I'm wondering if you can help. I have an Alpha 200 and I have a chance to purchase a very cheap Minolta x700 with loads of lens'. I'm wondering if the lens will work with the Alpha?
The short answer is "NO"

The long answer is that if you use an adapter you can mount the lenses from the X700 on your A200, but these are manual focus lenses, the diaphragm will have to be manually closed, and the adapter requires a supplementary lens in it to allow focusing the X700 lenses to infinity on the A200. That supplementary lens will degrade the image quality. It is normally not a good choice to do this.

It is possible to rework the mount on some of the lenses to fit without an adapter, but you still do not have auto control of the focus or the aperture, and the rework requires some level of knowledge.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
waynehowes
Acolyte

Unread post by waynehowes »

Cheers for that guys! :D