ExpoAperture2 Depth-of-Field Guide

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Parsnipjones

ExpoAperture2 Depth-of-Field Guide

Unread post by Parsnipjones »

Does anyone have experience of using the ExpoAperture2 Depth-of-Field Guide (http://www.expoimaging.com).

It has great reviews from the company but I haven't come across anyone who's brought/ used one. At £25 - 30.00 + it's a bit much to buy just on spec..

Many Thanks

PJ
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: ExpoAperture2 Depth-of-Field Guide

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Something like that might be useful if you habitually work off a tripod, the camera and subject remain in the same position while you consult the DOF calculator, but not very useful for shooting on the fly, walking, street photography, out in the bush etc. I think you could just as easily take a couple of different f-stop shots if it's general type photography, ror example scenic shots are nearly always shot at f11, portraits are more involved, you could use any number of f-stops there depending on what effect you wanted, honestly with digital it's so easy just to take a shot, see the result and adjust accordingly. With wildlife and Macro, you sometimes have only one chance to get the shot so it's probably best to go for the smallest aperture per focal length/ISO/shutter speed you can extract out of the situation at the time.
Greg
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Greg Beetham wrote:Something like that might be useful if you habitually work off a tripod, the camera and subject remain in the same position while you consult the DOF calculator, but not very useful for shooting on the fly, walking, street photography, out in the bush etc. I think you could just as easily take a couple of different f-stop shots if it's general type photography, ror example scenic shots are nearly always shot at f11, portraits are more involved, you could use any number of f-stops there depending on what effect you wanted, honestly with digital it's so easy just to take a shot, see the result and adjust accordingly. With wildlife and Macro, you sometimes have only one chance to get the shot so it's probably best to go for the smallest aperture per focal length/ISO/shutter speed you can extract out of the situation at the time.
Greg
I just flick the DOF button, or the focus hold buttons on the lenses where I've programmed for them to be DOF buttons as well. Takes only a brief look to check DOF alignment.

And a good part of the macro and wildlife shots I do involve subjects that move whatever way they want to. Up to me to keep up, and keep camera fiddling to the minimum to do so.

Walt
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Exatamundo Walt, all my DSLR's have a DOF button, (KM5D, A100, A700), but one just doesn't know these days if a given user has a camera with one...one of the features that Sony has decided many cameras no longer need.
Greg
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Greg Beetham wrote:Exatamundo Walt, all my DSLR's have a DOF button, (KM5D, A100, A700), but one just doesn't know these days if a given user has a camera with one...one of the features that Sony has decided many cameras no longer need.
Greg
They may be right with so many just using DSLRs the same way they used their P&S, on full auto. I'm kind of hoping those folks go running off to the E mount cameras and DSLR can get back to more normal and still photography emphasis.

Otherwise folks who want to include DOF in their composition ideas should continually roast Sony until the DOF button is put back. Or not buy the ones crippled.

Walt