Sony Going SDHC

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Sony Going SDHC

Unread post by peterottaway »

According to a news report from Photo Review Australia, Sony has announced that is introducing 5 SDHC cards with up to 32 GB capacity and 2 Micro SDHC cards. And that ..."the entire 2010 range of digital imaging products will be SD/SDHC compatible."

So unless they have seen the light and are phasing out the MS range does this mean they will be dropping CF support from their top of the range models ? PRA report only refers to digital compact cameras and high end camera phones.

I imagine someone on DPR will interpret this as an admission that Sony is abandoning D - SLR and probable video camera production. :twisted:
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony Going SDHC

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'd doubt they would drop CF from higher end models. But what it might mean is a CF and SD slot for flagship ones maybe even A7xx.

Frankly few are going to cry about the death of MS if that is the case. SD has dominated for years now..it's simply a wake up call that they needed to hear. Olympus has been busy dropping XD as well. We had too many formats and it was not in the end users interests.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Or maybe they'll just make a slot that handles either card type in addition to a dedicated CF card. The new P&S cameras all seem to have such a slot.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I'll bet they drop CF and put in a dual controller and dlual slot for the SD cards so people can have the ability to write to both cardsto transfer files maybe between cards or maybe write RAW to ne and JPG to the other.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

bfitzgerald wrote:I'd doubt they would drop CF from higher end models...
That's what I think. Rather a slow end for the memory stick.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I don't think anyone is keeping CF. it's done like dinner...
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I'm no expert on assessing relative performance of CF and SD/SDHC cards but it would appear that the top end of the CF cards still do have an edge in absolute performance. Unless Canon and Nikon can agree to invent a new standard for their high speed pro models then I think the CF cards will be around for a while.

I don't need high performance cards myself ( still buying Sandisk Ultra II - cheap and reliable ) and using tripods and manual focus some of the time. To use the old Warren Zevon song Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner I ain't.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

I think those top end CF cards exceed the write speed of all the cameras. This is the opertunity all the makers have been waiting for to finally dump CF. SD cards are finally fast enough for the cameras so there is no need to put up with CF anymore
roysmith
Heirophant

Unread post by roysmith »

I still prefer CF cards regardless of the speed. They're less fragile and that's a big plus to me ;)
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I vote for keeping the CF cards because a) I already have them and b) The larger size makes them easier to find in the bag and on my desk!

Dusty
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Dusty wrote:I vote for keeping the CF cards because a) I already have them and b) The larger size makes them easier to find in the bag and on my desk!

Dusty
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

Dusty wrote:I vote for keeping the CF cards because a) I already have them and b) The larger size makes them easier to find in the bag and on my desk!

Dusty
Same here, No need to be any smaller for DSLRs, I got two months photo foray out west last year on the cards that fit in a Pelican card case. And they are fast, I use 300x UDMA and faster in my a700s, 8G and 16G sizes. Not so much for in camera speed, but download speed with a firewire 800 card reader is a big plus.

Of course what we are going to get any day now is the micro SD. I use those in my Garmin GPS. And use extreme care any time I have to take them out or put them back. :P

Walt
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

WaltKnapp wrote: Of course what we are going to get any day now is the micro SD. I use those in my Garmin GPS. And use extreme care any time I have to take them out or put them back. :P

Walt
I hear you.

I've got one in my cellphone, half-a-gig and barely the size of a fingernail. It worries me having to plug and unplug things I practically need a magnifying glass to see!