Leaving stuff behind

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
braeside
Grand Caliph

Re: Leaving stuff behind

Unread post by braeside »

Possibly considering the Dell Mini 10v netbook to install OSX Hackintosh. Apparently it works very well. Note it has to be the 10v model not the 10 which does not work with Hackintosh.
David
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

bakubo wrote: I bought an 8.9" netbook a couple of years ago and used it in Egypt in December. Very handy since wifi was pretty common. I helped my sister buy a 10.1" netbook last month and she likes it a lot. I plan to get one too soon since the larger screen and especially the larger keyboard makes it much more usable. The overall size and weight is not much more than the 8.9" model so it is worth it. By the way, the free FastStone is what I use to view all my files (raw included). It is small and fast. Doesn't have all the other stuff that Picasa has that I don't care about. I just wanted a good viewer.
I had to use faststone on my Samsung NC10 initially because it was the only thing that supported ARW files. But now Irfanview supports the Sony format so I can go back to that.

Harvey
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

harvey wrote:I had to use faststone on my Samsung NC10 initially because it was the only thing that supported ARW files. But now Irfanview supports the Sony format so I can go back to that.
Years ago I used Irfanview, but then decided I liked Faststone much better. Faststone show all the image files as thumbnails. Does Irfanview do that now?
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

bakubo wrote: Years ago I used Irfanview, but then decided I liked Faststone much better. Faststone show all the image files as thumbnails. Does Irfanview do that now?
Yes, type t in irfanview or run the thumbnail viewer directly from start menu.

On my 5 year old PC it is quite slow to show a directory of A900 images.

Harvey
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a screenshot of Faststone and a bunch of ARW files with thumbnails. When you go to a new folder with A700 ARW files it creates the thumbnails pretty quickly and then if you return later it doesn't have to create them again. There are various skins, but I just use the old Windows classic skin.
faststone_screenshot.jpg
(148.45 KiB) Downloaded 2248 times
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I have both Faststone and ACDSee. I prefer the latter. I had Irfanview (long time ago and older version probably) but returned to the one I use now.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:I have both Faststone and ACDSee. I prefer the latter. I had Irfanview (long time ago and older version probably) but returned to the one I use now.
Is ACDSee free? How well does it run on a little netbook?
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

ACDSee 12 is $69.99, ACDSee Pro 3 is $169.99.

FastStone just released Ver 4.2 today.

Photoscape will also let you view thumbnails, and caches them so that once viewed, show again very quickly.

Dusty
Dr. Harout

bakubo wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:I have both Faststone and ACDSee. I prefer the latter. I had Irfanview (long time ago and older version probably) but returned to the one I use now.
Is ACDSee free? How well does it run on a little netbook?
It's "almost" free here. Frankly can't say how it runs on a netbook (I don't have one).

Flickr
roysmith
Heirophant

Unread post by roysmith »

Another free image viewer you can use to view images (including RAW files) is Google Picasa. It's quite light and the integrated face recognition can be useful sometimes.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:ACDSee 12 is $69.99, ACDSee Pro 3 is $169.99.
I just want a viewer so free for a really good one is great. Definitely not interested in paying that kind of money for a viewer.
Dr. Harout

bakubo wrote:
Dusty wrote:ACDSee 12 is $69.99, ACDSee Pro 3 is $169.99.
I just want a viewer so free for a really good one is great. Definitely not interested in paying that kind of money for a viewer.
You already have the PMB too (Picture Motion Browser) which came along with your DSLR.

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:You already have the PMB too (Picture Motion Browser) which came along with your DSLR.
How well does it work with Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. RAW files (I assume it does work with KM RAW files) and PS PSD files? I have various RAW formats as do many people. Since we are talking about a photo viewer for a netbook it is important to know how small and fast it is. I have never loaded it so I don't know the answer to any of these questions.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Surprised nobody has sugested Picasa. it's still the best of the free --does everything you need --apps for pictures. it's got a pretty small footprint and displays any RAW file actually. works for a lot of other formats too TiFF ect. I run it on my MSI wind and works just fine.

Sorry I see Picasa was mentioned, now sure how I missed it.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

The PMB version that came with my HDR-XR550E camcorder became a part of my photo-viewing process. No other software will open my movies because SONY has a propriety format for its HD camcorders. You can view them on Bravia HD TVs but to see them on any other device you have to convert them to WMV or MPEG-2 in the PMB first.

I don't know if it's the same software that comes with Alpha DSLRs.

It's a good application though. Like Picasa, it chronologically archives all files from all of my Sony equipments including DSLR. It runs and searches for media files automatically everytime I connect a device by USB.

The RAW files can be viewed as thumbnails but can't be edited while the JPEGs can.

I also have Picasa 3 installed and I like the user interface. It creates very nice slideshows for presentations either from your photos or movies. Hardly any other application out especially free ones, creates such smooth and HD slides. I'd recommend it because the quality is very good. :)

Yildiz
PMB-.jpg
(77.44 KiB) Downloaded 2157 times