alpha mount future - question for DK

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
catalytic
Initiate

Re: alpha mount future - question for DK

Unread post by catalytic »

Wow, what a motley crew of lenses. Do you think it could be that Canon used different OEMs to manufacture those lenses? Canon probably makes all of their own "L" lenses -- at least the more expensive ones, but i wouldn't be surprised if they used other people to manufacture some of their low-mid range lenses.
A700, A900 | T 17-50, Sig 18-50/OS, 24-85, S 28-75, beer can
20/2.8, 24/2.8, 30/2.8, 35/1.4G, 35/2, 50/1.7, 50/2.8, Z 85/1.4, T 90/2.8
Nikon and Olympus systems
dynax800si
Heirophant

Unread post by dynax800si »

David Kilpatrick wrote: So my guess is that at photokina 2010, we will see a new 16-80mm with SSM and improved overall build quality - or possibly a revised 16-105mm instead. I think they will go for the 16-80mm and keeping the CZ name. This lens will also be totally compatible with the NEX and Alpha adaptor.

Two other lenses which must be revised are the 11-18mm (replaced with a 10-24mm SAM) ....
There is a rumor about two new lenses: 16-50mm f/2.8 SAM and 10-20mm G.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-new- ... nses-soon/
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.
WaltKnapp
Oligarch

Unread post by WaltKnapp »

dynax800si wrote: There is a rumor about two new lenses: 16-50mm f/2.8 SAM and 10-20mm G.
Glad to see G and not CZ. Now I have to decide if one of my least used lenses should be replaced (the 11-18) with the 10-24. Though I most certainly would not do it unless it's SSM rather than SAM. Plenty of time to think about it and see how well it does in the next several months.

Walt
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Having had experience with the Tokina 16 - 50 on the Nikon, I find 50mm rather short in comparison to my CZ 16 - 80. If the rumour about a 10 - 20 is correct then a 20 - 60 would have been my preference.

It may be that Sony has done an OEM deal with Tokina and so we are getting a Sonyized ( ? ) version.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I thought Tokina had a deal going with Pentax/Hoya? That would make this tie up rather unlikely.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

bfitzgerald wrote: [quote]I thought Tokina had a deal going with Pentax/Hoya? That would make this tie up rather unlikely./quote]
Business is Business. Look at the Pentax sales figures published elsewhere and Samsung having pulled out of APS-C. Tokina have already released their 11-16mm for Sony so what should prevent them from doing Sony A badged lenses? They did it for Minolta. Sony is third now and with Tokina already releasing CAN/NIK fit lenses seems like a good idea to hitch on to Sony as well. Follow the sales and that's where the money is.
bfitzgerald

Why would Tokina do a deal with Sony when they are starting to make lenses for A mount themselves? I don't follow the logic.
As for Pentax I've heard they have some good stuff in the pipeline, we'll see more about that soon. I'm also pretty sure the K-x has been a very good seller for them. A few years back I would have said Pentax/Hoya were in a coma and doing very little RIP etc. Recently they seem to be on a roll and I'm sure this year will be even better for them.

Companies will go where the money is and that mostly means Canikon..Sony is just a side show to them but there is an interest I suspect as Sony have a weak range in the UWA sector..that's why I think Tokina are getting involved.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Why would Tokina do a deal with Sony when they are starting to make lenses for A mount themselves? I don't follow the logic.
I know that Tokina used to make A-mount lenses. I have two: 20-35mm and 400mm. Did Tokina also ever make any Minolta branded lenses?
bfitzgerald

Correct I have tried a few in the past (frankly more miss than hit on that one though a few were good/decent) but the point was the stopped making them (when I am not sure) and now they are starting again..so I see absolutely no reason why they would do a deal with Sony.

Interestingly the Tokina announcement came just a few days/weeks after DK said it would never happen. I've now got DK down as my reverse prediction gauge ;-)
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

well they would do a deal with Sony to fill their production.. wouldn't you ?
Winedarksea
Heirophant

Unread post by Winedarksea »

bfitzgerald wrote:Why would Tokina do a deal with Sony when they are starting to make lenses for A mount themselves? I don't follow the logic.
As for Pentax I've heard they have some good stuff in the pipeline, we'll see more about that soon. I'm also pretty sure the K-x has been a very good seller for them. A few years back I would have said Pentax/Hoya were in a coma and doing very little RIP etc. Recently they seem to be on a roll and I'm sure this year will be even better for them.

Companies will go where the money is and that mostly means Canikon..Sony is just a side show to them but there is an interest I suspect as Sony have a weak range in the UWA sector..that's why I think Tokina are getting involved.

Barry, that roll you say Pentax has been on has left them mired in last place among the top six dslr/system camera brands worldwide, and drifting downward earlier this year to reach last place among the same contenders, for the month of June, even in Japan--their strongest market.
Alpha 700, SAL 50 f1.4, SAL 18-250, SAL 85 f1.4 ZA
bfitzgerald

The information I got was that the K-x was selling well for Pentax in Europe at least. How true that is I cannot say though I suspect it's done pretty well.

In honesty I could not care less where they rank if they make more appealing products I'll give them a look. A few warts and all the K-x is far more appealing than anything Sony have to offer. I don't make choices based on popularity but end product. It's obvious Sony has a coordinated and large retail supply system that helps them get into outlets in many locations. What Pentax do need however is a higher mid level body and a "new" K-7 dumping the Samsung sensor in favour of the Sony one.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I think I remember Pentax was using a Kodak sensor in their popular AF645D, I don't think it's a full frame 6x4.5cm either, maybe they could also with their APS-C cameras, (most likely make them more expensive though), there isn't much wrong with the K-7, it's got plenty of features and probably one of the best OVF's around, I heard it's focus speed isn't really wonderful, (don't know if that's true or not), but the Pentax lenses apparently are good, it'd be interesting if DK would take one for a spin.
Greg

ps. forgot too mention, you can use every Pentax SLR lens they made on it, unlike some other brands, notibly Canon and Nikon.
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

WaltKnapp wrote:
dynax800si wrote: There is a rumor about two new lenses: 16-50mm f/2.8 SAM and 10-20mm G.
Glad to see G and not CZ.
Walt
Why?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:I think I remember Pentax was using a Kodak sensor in their popular AF645D, I don't think it's a full frame 6x4.5cm either, maybe they could also with their APS-C cameras, (most likely make them more expensive though), there isn't much wrong with the K-7, it's got plenty of features and probably one of the best OVF's around, I heard it's focus speed isn't really wonderful, (don't know if that's true or not), but the Pentax lenses apparently are good, it'd be interesting if DK would take one for a spin.
Carl Garrard wrote an article comparing the Pentax K7 to the Sony A700:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/photogra ... comparison

Here he says the K7 AF is faster than the A700, but it probably also depends on which lens is used:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/photogra ... page=0%2C2