Sony service UK

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Scooterman
Oligarch

Sony service UK

Unread post by Scooterman »

Has any UK Sony owners had anything to do with Sony service?
I have got a very small problem with my A-700 that I bought used, the focus confirm “beep” is not working, and yes I have switched it on and off in the menu, I suspect it is a glitch in the firmware, also the led focus light is not as bright as it should be.
They Sony UK charge £114 standard charge for service, also “Free Post” sending so all postage charges inclusive with they say a 5/7 day turn round.
Regards
Richard
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony service UK

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

For the A700 you have little choice but to use Sony. I have not heard any real horror stories, and I think they would have reached me if there were obvious problems.

David
Scooterman
Oligarch

David Kilpatrick wrote:For the A700 you have little choice but to use Sony. I have not heard any real horror stories, and I think they would have reached me if there were obvious problems.

David
Hi and thanks David, What I was surprised at you could actually speak to a real person at Sony, my experience with Olympus is kit is sent to Portugal and regularly lost.
Canon no one wants to speak to you, Nikon unless you are a Pro shooter and have the required kit you are just a number and Pentax service is abysmal.
So I do worry about “service” and so far Sony have put my mind at rest, we will see in the coming week when I send the A-700 in for minor surgery. :wink:
Regards
richard
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I have audo signals 'on' on my new A700 (only fired a few hundred shots since bought new) and I can't hear any signal confirmation from mine either, not that I care, (I can hear it from the A100 and KM5D), so it will be interesting too see how you progress with that one just the same.
Greg
Scooterman
Oligarch

Hi, Greg , Mine has other faults like dim focus confirm display, a problem with my eyes, also the battery discharge is up quite a bit and the date has to be reset on replacing the battery.
I have spoken to Sony service this morning and will be sending the body in via “Free Post” they have confirmed it will most probably be a complete circuit change and full check, I find that brilliant at the cost of £114 all in.
Sony service (UK), I hope are as good as their word I will let you know in due course.
Regards
Richard
Richard T
Acolyte

Unread post by Richard T »

I recently had cause to return my A700 to Sony and they dealt with it most efficiently & were very helpful. I decided to insure it when posting (via Royal mail) & was told that the Freepost doesn't include insurance so ended up paying about £7.50 for postage & insurance which I thought was OK for peace of mind.
Many years ago I had a Nikon film SLR which had to go back for repair and they were absolutely awful - so saddened to hear they are no better now - confirms my decision never to buy a Nikon again however good they are !
Good luck
RT
Scooterman
Oligarch

Update on the A-700 service, still waiting?
Phoned this morning waiting for parts, excuse was because of the bank holiday, they are running late, one day and everything stops! (Sony Turn round 5-7 days)? :roll:
Told I should phone again on Friday.
Looks like Sony service is not so much better than the others it would seem.
:(
Richard
Scooterman
Oligarch

Well this is an update on Sony service, The camera came back today, and has done a smart turn round back to service most of the work has been done like new focus screen battery compartment block day/date reset after battery change, but the focus confirm beep gave one small squeak then packed in, so now on way back to Sony, so much for the 5/7 days for repairs they aught to say 1-2 months.
So not impressed, but I have been assured it will get priority now, we will see?
Regards Richard
Scooterman
Oligarch

How time flies, still no A-700, now thinking of sending it a “get well soon” card.
Sony service state 5/7 days turn round on repairs that must be a misprint, could it be 5/7 weeks or even months? :wink:
Contacted Sony this morning I may get it back next week, :lol: I just hope it does not have to go back again, although I was told if it does they do an exchange for the “Rogue” item, I just want it back working correctly.
regards
richard
Scooterman
Oligarch

Well an Update, A-700 returned to me this morning from Sony Bridgend, and would you believe it, the “Sound” is still non existent, I do require this feature because of problems with my eyes.
No word about the condition also my screen protector is scratched to hell.
They are closed today but to say the least I am not very happy with “service”.
I love the cameras and lenses but why do Sony let them selves down with this level of service?
Regards
Richard
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Are you sure you have the audio signals turned on in the spanner menu?

David
Scooterman
Oligarch

David Kilpatrick wrote:Are you sure you have the audio signals turned on in the spanner menu?

David
Hi David,
Elementary my dear Watson, Turned off and on several times just to make sure.
I’ve even done a complete reboot.
Why Sony can’t fix it I do not know, anyway I will be in touch with customer services on Monday.
Not very happy, my luck goes that way. :(
Regards
Richard
Scooterman
Oligarch

Well after getting the A-700 back and still it is mute, I have now been passed to Sony Customer Services in Kingston, no not Jamaica Kingston GB, and now have a case number?
We will see how it progresses from now?
Regards
Richard
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wish you good luck and patience.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Scooterman
Oligarch

Hi Doc, Luck is something I've never had, just one of the many who gets the mucky end of the stick.
There could be 100 winning tickets in a draw and one booby prize; can you guess which one I would have?
I should have a call from Sony CS within 48hrs, we will see!
Best regards
Richard