Is it my sensor?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Beakydave
Initiate

Is it my sensor?

Unread post by Beakydave »

Shot of colour checker chart with 7D. I've tried everything I can think of - change battery, reset defaults, reinstall firmware. This happened a couple of times a few months ago, but now it's every shot. I'd been hoping to hold out for A900 but don't know when that will be arriving, so may have to go for the A700. Anyone seen this, and is it a fixable (ie cheap!) problem?

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Is it my sensor?

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I'm not keen in this, but try this: shoot in B&W, and look for sharpness and details. If these latter are fine then try to change the settings of WB. If it gets fixed than it was a sticky WB problem.
Anyway I'm hoping for the easiest problem so it'll get fixed in no time. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Beakydave
Initiate

Thanks, but it's not the WB. Others have suggested that it may be a shorted sensor clock or blown drive chip (whatever those may be) but hinting it may be terminal. Oh well, looks like I may be heading for the A700
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

One way or another you will not regret the A700. It's a wonderful camera. Take a look at http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/a700.php
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Give JPS a call - they handle all FBF repairs in the UK still for free.

http://www.johnsons-photopia.co.uk/JP%2 ... ons_17.php

There's a phone number in there somewhere - give 'em a call and talk to someone...
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It may not be first black frame, but it resembles very closely the sensor failure results on the Sony 1/1.8 and 2/3rds chips. I've seen a similar failure on a Dimage A1, and when I accidentally knocked a test Ricoh GR Digital on a hard stone floor (by tying my shoelace and forgetting the camera was on a wrist strap round my wrist - clonk!) this also happened to the GR - pink/orange output with smearing in one direction. That indicates it could be something caused by sudden shock or impact, which would not be covered under any long-term Sony agreement to repair/replace failing D7D sensors. Either way, Johnsons (JP Service) will tell you.

David
Beakydave
Initiate

The end of the story

JPS quoted £300 plus VAT to replace the sensor. Having already invested in the A700, it just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of cash to restore a camera that would in all probability sit unused in a drawer. Especially when a new WA is at the top of my shopping list. The camera is actually working at the moment, so I guess it's a case of keeping it in that drawer as emergency back-up, even though I can't be certain that it will work when I next turn it on. (Until such time, that is, when someone makes a sensible offer to purchase it for parts.)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If the fault is intermittent, reload your firmware - download or find the latest firmware, and load it again. Buy a new battery too. Either or both together could fix this problem.

David
Beakydave
Initiate

Thanks, David, but already tried both of those before sending off!