Sigma SD1 Question

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Sigma SD1 Question

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Hello David,

First off, please forgive me if I'm not supposed to post questions about non-Minolta/Sony equipment, but I wanted to get your technical image quality forecast for Sigma's upcoming SD1, from the standpoint of (1) has Sigma probably/probably not done anything on the Foveon's inability for comparable high-ISO (to Bayer of course), and (2) does a 15mp (aps-c) Foveon compare resolution-wise to a 24mp FF?

Thanks for any input here, as I'm trying to see how "future-proofed" the A900 is from a resolution standpoint, as we see these new technologies emerge.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sigma SD1 Question

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You need to wait about 2 years for the answer. No-one at Sigma suggests the 15 megapixel Foveon will be around much sooner than that. And it from my experience, it will match around 30 megapixels realistically. It should be good up to around 1600 ISO but will still no doubt be best at 100 due to the stacked layer principle and light losses with each layer.

David