Launching soon?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I doubt I'll get a sample body very quickly. The US website states the camera will be available from October 31st 2007, and the Japanese one appears to say it will be available from the 16th of November (I don't know what else the 11 and 16 next to each item is - it's a graphic and can not be translated by Babelfish etc).

I think we will have a chance to use the camera briefly around Sept 18/19th but all test bodies will be on a rota basis, and I'm unlikely to be on that rota because I do not have a large circulation consumer magazine or a website on the scale dPreview etc. I'm pretty sure ePhotozine will get one. Sony is only concerned with numbers and the former Minolta Club - plus this website - add up to zero in that context. They want 300,000 readers not 30,000 on the web, and they want 30,000 not 3,000 in print.

I'll have to change plans for a proper write up for October, and buy one like everyone else - just like we did with the A100.

David
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

Popphoto have some sample images and from what I've seen, the high iso/noise problem is a thing of the past! Colours seem to harken back to good old Minolta days - never a bad thing!
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

In the USA you can pre-order from Sony at $1399 for the body only with delivery expected end of September.

Wonder what the UK price will end up at and when we will get it.

David - please nip on a plane and pick up a couple over there. :D
David
Beakydave
Initiate

Unread post by Beakydave »

braeside wrote:In the USA you can pre-order from Sony at $1399 for the body only with delivery expected end of September.

Well, using the special exchange rate for photographic kit that price ought to translate to £1,399 plus VAT :x
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Beakydave wrote:
braeside wrote:In the USA you can pre-order from Sony at $1399 for the body only with delivery expected end of September.

Well, using the special exchange rate for photographic kit that price ought to translate to £1,399 plus VAT :x
:shock: Certainly hope not - I wouldn't think even Sony would dare go above £999.99 :roll:
David
andrew_broadfoot
Acolyte

Unread post by andrew_broadfoot »

Nice one David! I would say "So long and thanks for all the fish" but I will be checking up on the threads very often...[/quote]
Have a great day!
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Sony Style are now listing it as available from 17th September (although they may mean preorders from 17th :cry: )

https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonyStyle/b ... dslr_en_gb

No mention of price yet :cry:

Here's hoping :D ...........

Philip
Beakydave
Initiate

Philip wrote:Sony Style are now listing it as available from 17th September (although they may mean preorders from 17th :cry: )

Philip
Very poor marketing if they say it will be coming soon on the 17th and then tell us that we can pre-order it only from that date. Most sellers announce along the lines of "coming soon, pre-order now"
matthew
Acolyte

Unread post by matthew »

While looking for a a100 found this

http://www.abc-digital-cameras.co.uk/p8 ... ce-tbc.htm

So it may be October before you can get one!
andrew_broadfoot
Acolyte

Unread post by andrew_broadfoot »

Have a great day!
Beakydave
Initiate

As we feared - SonyUK now showing A700 as available for pre-order from the 17th - poor show, Sony! (At least we might get an indication of the price, though)

Beakydave wrote:
Philip wrote:Sony Style are now listing it as available from 17th September (although they may mean preorders from 17th :cry: )

Philip
Very poor marketing if they say it will be coming soon on the 17th and then tell us that we can pre-order it only from that date. Most sellers announce along the lines of "coming soon, pre-order now"
Beakydave
Initiate

False hopes!

I do wish Sony would stop mucking us about. If they don't know when it will be available, then please leave it as "coming soon"

Now "Available for pre-order as of 24 September."

Beakydave wrote:As we feared - SonyUK now showing A700 as available for pre-order from the 17th - poor show, Sony! (At least we might get an indication of the price, though)

Beakydave wrote:

Philip
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

Come on then, convince me that Sony (like so many other Japanese manufacturers) give a monkeys about the UK market. I still believe they're planning how much extra they can hit our wallets before they open the book on pre-orders. Cynical, I know, but we've been bitten by pricing for the UK before.
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

And surprise, surprise, Sony ignore the exchange rate with a RRP of £999. Hmm, with the 40D hitting the shops at over £200 less, feel that a great many A-mounters may well be looking at swearing (ie, I'll take the Canon!) rather than upgrading. I fear the mortgage requiring price of the Pro model.

I hope for Sony's sake the shelf price is more realistic for the market. Or are they offering the body with a free Bravia tv for that price?
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

I dropped Sony Style an email querying the UK price. I just wondered what sort of reply I'd get :)

Here it is ...

"Thank you for your email.
The prices of items in the US against the UK the actual pricing is not always the same between countries. I do not know why there is a difference in the sale price however it is possible that the relative strengths of the currencies impact upon this as the exchange rate currently is 2:1. Our store does not set initial pricing of items, this is done by Sony Europe. To find out about initial pricing on items you will need to speak with Sony Customer Information on 08705111999, or email them on [email protected], they will be able to assist you in this matter. I hope that this information is useful to you."

At least there's an email address and phone number - but doubt they'll be much use. Still if lots of folk complained at least they would know they've been rumbled :)
Roger