Launching soon?

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

Do me a favour and post that at DPreview and dyxum.com - there's a lot of disatisfied minolta owners. Wonder if we can have a go at their pricing of the PS3 too!
Beakydave
Initiate

Unread post by Beakydave »

I too emailed Sony UK and got a similar response. In fairness, it really does depend on which side of the fence you're standing. We're complaining that the US price is too cheap, but from a US perspective the camera is too dear in the UK. Who is to say which price is the correct one? I don't think we'd be complaining too much if the exchange rate was 1.2 dollars to the pound - that would then make the US price over-stated, and we'd no doubt see complaints from our US friends about unfair US pricing compared to Europe/UK.

No - it's absolutely meaningless trying to complain about the UK price in comparison with that of other countries. What matters is how the price compares with the competition in the same country - I've asked Sony for their views on this, watch this space!

I blame the Internet and the facility to immediately compare cross-border prices/make overseas purchases. A few years ago I wouldn't have had a clue what the US price of my 700si was.

rogprov wrote:I dropped Sony Style an email querying the UK price. I just wondered what sort of reply I'd get :)

Here it is ...

"Thank you for your email.
The prices of items in the US against the UK the actual pricing is not always the same between countries. I do not know why there is a difference in the sale price however it is possible that the relative strengths of the currencies impact upon this as the exchange rate currently is 2:1. Our store does not set initial pricing of items, this is done by Sony Europe. To find out about initial pricing on items you will need to speak with Sony Customer Information on 08705111999, or email them on [email protected], they will be able to assist you in this matter. I hope that this information is useful to you."

At least there's an email address and phone number - but doubt they'll be much use. Still if lots of folk complained at least they would know they've been rumbled :)