New Canon EOS 100D

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: New Canon EOS 100D

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 100D is almost irrelevant to non-Canon users or anyone who knows much about the gear. The sensor is nbow four years old (18 MP 1.6X) and it's just not that good. It may be the same as the 7D etc but those are not really very good compared to Sony's 16MP 1.5X or even to Sony's 24MP.

I can tell you that there sre some sublte shifts happening in the Nikon/Canon zone - Nikon is suffering, Canon is maintaining position, Sonty is gaining in very big way, and Olympus is probably the biggest winner (in Europe). The D800 and D600 have done almost irreparable damage to Nikon, the Canon 6D has done great things for Canon, Canon APS-C is now firmely relegated to amateur/beginner level, and Olympus (true to past form\ somehow makes a single product appeal from family snapper to international photojournalist - just as they did in the 1970s.

David
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Hi David

That's a very interesting summery, I have to agree with you re Nikon. Canon in comparison are doing reasonably well globaly.

The CCD Kodak sensor in my old Oly E-500 [which I no longer have] was absolutely superb for colour rendition and low noise. The current crop of Olympus cameras such as the OM-D are using Sony sensors but there has been some critisism that they haven't made best use if it 'yet'. I just wish there was an up to date 4thirds body [not M4T] at an affordable price, but rumour has it, it will be yet another body [E-7] aimed at the pro. The E-5 was crazy and never came down in price much. Grossly over priced in my view.

I still have an old Oly E-510 and E-450, and they go for occasional walks with me. Hand on heart, they still in my view exhibit some of the nicest Jpegs out there and probably only seconded by Fuji.

Peter
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'm not seeing any damage to Canon's position they are clearly the choice of most people. Working shooters I would say again Canon dominate here. Despite Nikon's attempts with many new models and FF ones, I think their QC has been frankly a disaster for the company. It's a real shame I wanted to like Nikon in many ways very pleased, but oh those AF problems and it's all over the place, even trips to service didn't solve it. Add the oil on sensors, AF alignment issues I think they have thrown away any potential they had. (and they had on paper some obvious advantages)

APS-C Canon well it's not had a sensor update for some time, and I think that isn't great for them. But it has to be said they still seem to sell (700d might change that though) Maybe a 60d II and 7d II can offer something new for people to look at. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's purely amateur use, still see 50d's and 7d's in use dated sensor or not.

Sony, I see NEX around and doing I imagine quite well. SLT not really much going on from what I can see. Any time I see a Sony non NEX it's usually an A200 or an A350 something like that. Pentax are as they were tiny market share but talk of something FF happening. Olympus I've actually seem more Panasonic's being used for micro 4/3. I really don't think the OM-D has impacted massively on the mainstream DSLR users.

Nikon are the biggest let down to me, I can't for the life of me wonder how they can have so many QC issues. I did use a D80 quite a few years ago and didn't note any AF issues (metering yes that wasn't great) Fast forward and all 5 Nikon DSLR's I bought all have seriously lousy AF, missing even dead easy shots with inconsistent AF and showing a BIG variation in focus. All my Sony angst of late put to one side, I will say the A57 blows the D7000 away for AF. If the D600 is like the D7000 for AF I'd not even look at it.

Canon's 6d cut down bits or not, the low light performance of that camera looks superb. That would be my choice if I were going FF right now and had the resources
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

From what I understand, reading the 4thirds forum, Panasonic are the real force in CSC world. They lead Olympus by quite a margin in most model sales. For some reason, Olympus always seem to price their products way to high and have never really been that competative. The OM-D is never going to be a big seller to the mass DSLR market. If they introduced a budget version of the OM-D say for around £600/700, may be in direct competition with the Panny G5, they would probably then keep Oly fans from jumping ship. That however would be too sensible wouldn't it.
Panasonic lenses [mostly designed by Leica, and mostly built by Panny] are superb performers and have well above average build quality. In general they out perform Olympus equivalents.

I have to agree withy Barry, the Sony SLT focussing is the best but I would suggest the Pannny G series are as good. Sony colours are also in my view the best now that Olympus are no longer producing a 4thirds body. Interestingly, since the E500, all Oly cameras had Panasonic sensors.
Now its mostly Sony.
I'm prepared to run with Sony a while longer as my little A37 is still giving me great pictures and has not yet dissapointed me. Its a pleasure to use and Its easier to use than my Nikon D5100. Sony have superb colour balance, fine detail and dynamic range but the Nikon wins on high ISO performance and less noise and smearing than the Sony.
However, weight was one of my requirements and the Sony wins again. I have never owned a camera where I could honestly say it was a little cracker, until the Sony came along.
Pete