Canon EOS 70D announced

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Canon EOS 70D announced

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I can't blame people in some ways, for example you might have specific needs and want to ensure that a model has what you want. On the other hand actual field use is much more revealing. I was out today having a grab of a few bodies in a shop again, but that's not really enough to give you much of an idea bar fit and finish.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the build of the entry models full stop (across makers) the new 700d didn't like the plastics on that and the demo model was showing quite a few marks, the plastic seems a step back from what I'd expect, the 4 way controller buttons were cheap feeling too. Even the old Km5d puts entry models to shame nowadays it's a far more robust solid feeling camera than anything out there today.

Even tried the new G5 today not bad actually the EVF is quite good/large and clear, but somewhat artificial looking (if that's the right word maybe the processing settings) It actually looked better than the A58's EVF which is smaller.

With Sony there are a few things they could do that are quite simple and not what I'd call "big spec features" user set Auto ISO is a must at all price points (simple request) if they got their jpeg engine sorted out too that would help, and that damn flash ready indicator needs to display in all view modes not just 2. Silly simple things that can make quite a difference.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Agreed about the improvements on Sony cameras that need addressing.

I handled a G-5 the other day when I was looking at Pentax cameras, nice camera, quite good build, more SLR shape with grip than the older G3 which I have. I never liked the menu where items were too buried in sub files. Other than that, the EVF and LCD are OK but nothing special.

According to several reviews, the G5 IQ is no better than the previous G3 and on a couple of parameters worse. I never liked the colour reproduction on any of the Panasonics I have owned [green tints on occasions].
They say the G6 is a slight improvement on the G5 with rumours it now has a Sony sensor. They still omitted to give you multi aspect ration with full pixel counts in all aspects like the GH2/3.
However, Jpeg performance is quite good.
The G series are very much movie makers cameras and one wonders if more effort could have been applied to stills performance.
Panasonics biggest asset are the superb lenses available from both Panasonic, Leica and Olympus. There are rumours the new GX7 has IBIS.
bfitzgerald

I tried the new EOS 100d too (SL1 in the USA)
What a horrible camera to hold it's cramped and uncomfortable I couldn't wait to put it down! Nasty stuff not a chance I would want to use this day to day.

G5 well I compared it to the A58 which was also there and the Pannie's EVF was quite a bit bigger and looked better in most ways bit less natural but clearer and more defined. The A58 might be OLED but it's not a step up that some suggest.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Yes, did the same at my local Curry's with the 100D, oh dear, what have Canon done. My little A-37 is far better to hold and operate.
Looking at the bigger picture, the G-5 is a pretty good package and a very good lens line up, that's of course if you are prepared to go M4/3, prices have now dropped and it makes the camera quite an atractive alternative.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Speaking of the Canon EOS 100D/Rebel SL1, I see that the review is up:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-e ... -rebel-sl1
classiccameras
Viceroy

Not sure how they arrived at a 'Gold' award?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Maybe with the 100D Canon decided to make a high quality kids (5-10yr) camera just in case indulgent mums and dads decide to give the kids a camera to play with, or perhaps it’s a la femme or travelers targeted camera maybe, whatever, they probably will sell some or even quite a few just on the curiosity/novelty value.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I played with the 100D a couple of times in Japan recently. It is quite small, but the design works pretty well. It has a bit of the same issue as the NEX cameras though: small body with big lenses. The 100D isn't as small as a NEX though so the lenses, depending on which one you mount, don't feel as weird as some of the NEX combos. Some Canon lenses that I mounted on it were fairly small and felt okay on it and those are also the lenses that probably most 100D buyers would be interested in.

Here is what I suspect. Canon will sell many, many, many more 100D cameras than Sony sold A230, A330, A380 cameras. Those Sony models were also quite small, but much more uncomfortable to hold and the features and specs were decidedly poor. The 100D that I played with seemed to be pretty good and, I imagine, there will be buyers who will like it. I could even imagine it as a travel backup for someone who is using a 60D, 70D, or 7D since the 100D would take up so little space in a bag.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

If the link works I chose for interest sake the 100D, A37, 450D and the 70D for comparison, the big difference is in the grip of the 100D, besides that it’s only marginally smaller than the A37 in the other dimensions, I guess if you can get used to the grip, or lack thereof, it would be ok as a small handy cam.
http://camerasize.com/compact/#448.303, ... 69.23,ha,t
You should be able to click on the lenses to get an ID of what they are.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

That would be my take on the 100D as well Henry - it is Canon's spoiler for the compact-system-camera market. If you main reason for a CSC is size, then the 100D might be a great alternative if you already have Canon glass. It looks very well spec'd, perhaps more so than a simple bottom of the range model. Oh yeah - it has an OVF too :) .

The 100D is a newer model but it is still priced well above the 1100D (£450 v. £270).
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

Small it may be but it's going to be too small for many folks. I've not got tiny hands, on the other hand I'm not Lou Ferrigno either!
Build wise the small Canon is ok, but nothing special really. Quite disappointing after having a hands on with that camera I expected it to be more comfortable.

It might work for Canon having a smaller body, they're not short of normal sized DSLR's. I did read the review on DPR it was ok. Have to be blunt if something isn't good in the hand you're wasting your time.
classiccameras
Viceroy

A possible problem for some people is when they want to fit a huge tele on the front, the balance I imagine would be not to good and not a lot to grip on to. People are already griping about big lenses on M4/3 bodies.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

The 100D might suit my missus then. She is 5' tall, with freakishly small hands!
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Just spent the last few days camping at Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. Saw a couple yesterday with a Canon 100D + 40mm pancake. The man had it hanging from his shoulder.

If you attach a big MF legacy lens to an Olympus EM-5 it will seem weird looking. Most people don't do that though. Attach any Olympus m4/3 lens or pretty much any Panasonic m4/3 lens and it will be fine.
classiccameras
Viceroy

That must be a great photogenic place, watch out for the bears, they can smell your food miles away. No, I saw a big 4/3 legacy Zuiko tele on a OMD body via an adaptor and it looked crazy.