KM Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha 7D jpegs

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: KM Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha 7D jpegs

Unread post by bakubo »

I saw this posted in various places. I haven't watched the whole thing, but some here might be interested.

The Great JPEG Shootout! (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, iPhone, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic)

Everyone loves to talk about the quality of different camera manufacturer's color and straight out of camera JPEGs. We decided to do a blind(ish) test, to see which images photographer's really preferred in a variety of situations. Which camera's SOOC images are really the ones to beat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQpueEvb-U
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Thanks for posting this, very interesting and a few surprises, being mainly a Jpeg shooter and mostly Landscapes I might re appraise my system, But I have to agree about Sony Jpeg colours
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

One important thing to keep in mind is in the video they used jpeg defaults and auto wb for the outdoor scene. Cameras have various jpeg profiles, saturation, contrast, wb, etc. settings that can be used to give different looks. Sony cameras have them too.

I still have my A700 and A100, but they are not with me in Japan. When I used them I almost always shot raw though so I don't have any opinion about their jpegs.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Yes, things to take into consideration about the survey, I always found the default Jpegs on my Sony A-37/57 and Now A6000 to warm, over saturated and over processed especially on AWB and that was just on standard mode, vivid and landscape were in my opinion way over the top, switching to Daylight helped quite a lot as did colour Temp change and or contrast and saturation adjustments, usually minus settings. The micro/4/3 Olympus cameras show great default Jpegs but in my opinion the earlier 4/3 E series DSLR's were better with the Panasonic sensor or even better still with the earlier Kodak sensor. I agree about Nikon Jpegs and Canon but I always found my old Panasonic G-3 had a green tint on default Jpegs, not sure if later models are better.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Just an addition to my last post, I've heard it said many times that its a pity Sony don't make full use of their own sensor in their cameras as Nikon do with the Sony sensor. There was one model of Nikon DSLR not that long ago that used a Hitachi sensor, but its possibly because there was a shortage of Sony sensors at the time. I'm in agreement with the Nikon and Canon exhibiting the nicest Jpegs, although I prefer the Canon. I've never been that impressed with Sony Jpegs, they are alright but Canikon and Olympus are nicer. I agree about the Pentax Jpegs, yet another Sony sensor they are not making full use of. Its interesting to compare the Panasonic and Olympus, both M/4/3 but use different sensors, Panasonic use their own but Olympus use Sony, and in the Jpeg survey Panasonic were nicer on landscapes. I guess its all subjective, but I am quite sensitive to the Jpeg quality variation from different camera brands/models
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I usually use RAW or RAW + JPEG with JPEG in a very distant last so this is a rather mute point to me. Mostly I then run them through DxO or C1 however they come out the camera.

So even aside from the fundamental problem of subjective bias and your own colour perception, the question to me is how many other things with your cameras are just straight out of the box ? I am not a George Eastman kind of photographer - as in you press the button and we do the rest.

I am also rather old fashioned in judging the final outcome by prints. Or whatever you put up as your final display to yourself or the world in general.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I have a few customised settings on the Fn button, and use DRO at various settings depending on the lighting, I also have a couple of colour temp settings again depending on lighting at different times of the day. I also vary the metering area and fiocus area depending on subject. No its not pressing buttons straight out the box, I'm not against RAW and PP and have extensivly used it in the past but now I have no time these days to play around with RAW PP, so for me Jpeg quality is important
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote: The Great JPEG Shootout! (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, iPhone, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic)

Everyone loves to talk about the quality of different camera manufacturer's color and straight out of camera JPEGs. We decided to do a blind(ish) test, to see which images photographer's really preferred in a variety of situations. Which camera's SOOC images are really the ones to beat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQpueEvb-U
Here is some commentary on that video and about jpegs from different companies.

Cameras and Skin Tones

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/cam ... tones.html

By the way, when I shoot jpegs with Olympus I turn the contrast, saturation, and sharpening down and turn off NR.
classiccameras
Viceroy

These Jpeg default adjustments are also suggested by Andrzej Wrotniac on his excellent Olympus site Photo Tidbits, He dispels the myths and poor press 4/3 received and shows how to get the best out of your Olympus both 4/3 and m/4/3 cameras.

As for skin tones the old Fuji Finepix S5-Pro based round a Nikon D200 body remains one of the most popular cameras for studio portraits and Wedding pics because the skin tones are just the best, you will rarely see used ones come on the market as they are so prized by the studio photographer, they hang on to them.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Reading through this thread reminds me of the debates we used to have on which film to use in which situation. There were even (and still are) specialized film for various situations.

With digital, it's not too hard to make those adjustments if shooting RAW, and there are even add-ons that give you a certain film effect.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:Reading through this thread reminds me of the debates we used to have on which film to use in which situation. There were even (and still are) specialized film for various situations.

With digital, it's not too hard to make those adjustments if shooting RAW, and there are even add-ons that give you a certain film effect.
:lol:

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote: :lol:

I guess everyone has heard that Ektachrome film is coming back.

CES 2017: Kodak Brings Back Ektachrome Color Reversal Film

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/ph ... ersal-film
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

I just might have to dust off the old film cameras and teach my kids what real photography is!

Glad I didn't throw out the darkroom equipment yet! I wonder if my old, unopened, E-6 processing kit is still good? ;)

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kodak Wants to Bring Back More Films

http://time.com/4649349/kodak-film-photography/

"As we’ve looked at the professional film market over the last two or three years, we’ve actually seen a resurgence in film sales," says Dennis Olbrich, president of the imaging, paper, photo chemicals and film division at Kodak Alaris, which took over Kodak's film photography businesses. "It gave us some confidence to start to look at what films would we consider to bring back into the marketplace."
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Few thoughts from me on that link to the article the jpegs it's mostly on target except Pentax where most cameras default jpeg is "bright" and it's too cooked at that setting. I like the Fuji look of that there is no question it's one of the best though they have taken a step back in jpeg processing with the noise reduction in recent bodies. Oly have always been pretty solid too.

Not everyone was a fan of the KM jpegs sometimes the reds could be a bit hot, but the skin tones are right up there still today. I'm fairly mixed on Sony jpegs they are middle of the road ignoring the NR side. Nikon was pretty good colour balance was on the warm side with Canon being pretty good too.

Onto the Ektachrome as I said many years back there is a place for film a new younger generation of shooters who have never shot with film wanting to experiment with the medium. Nothing wrong with that either it's fun