Sony Alpha100 and Sigma EF-500ST

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
CableTalk
Acolyte

Sony Alpha100 and Sigma EF-500ST

Unread post by CableTalk »

Hi all,

I would like to pose a question relating to the combination of the Sigma EF-500ST (without DG!) flash with Sony Alpha 100.

This flash is seen by the camera and the flash zooms along with the lens. At the moment of exposure, no flash though.

I've put the switch on the flash in TTL and both manual modes. In the menu of the camera, both settings (TTL or ADI) did not seem to work.

The flash itself seems OK, as it flashes properly when using the test button.

Ideas. anyone?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

My sample of this flashgun worked properly with the A100. I think you have a faulty flashgun (more likely than a faulty A100) and suggest first of all that you clean all the contacts very carefully, and make sure there is no dirt or dust in the camera shoe.

If this does not work, see if you can try another flashgun, or try the flash on another body.

David
CableTalk
Acolyte

Thank you for your early reply.

I will check this and if this doesn't help, I will let you know.

Which settings have you been using on the camera to let this flashgun work in TTL-mode? Or are only the manual modes available?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The gun works normally in TTL (Pre-Flash) and ADI modes. It has no wireless function. Perhaps you have an old model? Sigma did update all their guns to be digitally compatible about 2 years ago. If it is older than this, there may be compatibility problems, but Sigma will fix them free of charge.

David
CableTalk
Acolyte

This is useful information! Perhaps this might be the problem. I haven't been able to try while cleaning the contacts yet but if this won't help, I will certainly get in touch with Sigma.
Regards,
Edwin
Doug
Acolyte

Unread post by Doug »

Hi Edwin,

You can try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser, but like David said be careful and don't use too much pressure.
Doug
Omega892
Oligarch

Re:

Unread post by Omega892 »

Doug wrote:Hi Edwin,

You can try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser, but like David said be careful and don't use too much pressure.
Or maybe even a lens cleaning tissue without any supplied fluid applied, i.e. dry.

For some electrical contacts I recommend Electrolube in small pen style applicators - this is very good for contacts on computer equipment - always solves SCSI issues on one of my systems (6 devices) and also good for PC edge connectors and memory module connectors - after clearing out any dust etc. However I would be unsure about applying to a camera flash shoe as it may get under seals and even degrade any such. I have used Electrolube in the past on flash gun battery compartment contacts to some effect particularly on an old Vivitar thyristor gun which had a pair of 4-cell holders - one in the gun body and the other in the pistol-grip.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin