flash for taking photos of band gigs in dark environments.

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Andrik

flash for taking photos of band gigs in dark environments.

Unread post by Andrik »

Hi all,

I try to avoid using a flash as much as possible, prefering natural light, but as I visit concert and small gigs a lot, it seems a flash is required. Without a flash I get a lot of movement in a photo to the point that the photo is worthless.
I want to be able to photograph up close (within a few meters of the band playing) in a pretty dark environment. Can anyone suggest a good flash? and perhaps a technique which won't make the photo's look unnatural using the flash?

My camera is a alpha350.

thanks in advance.

Andrik Eker
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: flash for taking photos of band gigs in dark environments.

Unread post by artington »

I have used a Minolta 135/2.8 at a distance with excellent results. For more drama get in close and use a fast wide-ish angle, although beware flare if you go too wide. Also make sure your lens is sharp enough at full / nearly full aperture - some are but not all. Obviously DOF will be an issue wide open so you will probably have to up the ISO a bit. In my experience full-on camera flash removes contrast and atmosphere.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Fast primes and high ISO is really the only way to go. Flash would only work if they're on a very small stage, or you're isolating individuals. Otherwise, you have to be so far back to get the whole stage and your flash won't be of too much use. I guess an ultra-wide may solve that problem though.

When my cousin was fronting "Night Ranger" in the 80's I got to shoot several of his concerts with 35mm because I had backstage passes. Anyone w/o one can't use anything but P&S (unless the guys are not bright enough to know that a TLR isn't a P&S, snuck my YashicaMat into a few rock concerts!). Anyway, flash isn't too distracting for the band if they're blinded anyway by stage lights, but poorly lit small concerts may mean that the band doesn't want you to use flash. After all, who wants to be jumping around on stage when you're blind?

Dusty
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Andrik wrote: I try to avoid using a flash as much as possible, prefering natural light, but as I visit concert and small gigs a lot, it seems a flash is required. Without a flash I get a lot of movement in a photo to the point that the photo is worthless.
I want to be able to photograph up close (within a few meters of the band playing) in a pretty dark environment. Can anyone suggest a good flash? and perhaps a technique which won't make the photo's look unnatural using the flash?

My camera is a alpha350.
Hi,
the Sony F42AM is a good flash to have, not that bulky. not that expensive. In your case, I'll use it with the wide-angle adaptor on, in wireless and manual mode (you just need a couple of tryals in order to get the right exposure) if you don't feel confortable working on wireless, leave the flash on camera. Set the flash in Manual mode at 1/16 for an f4 @ 800 asa ( 2-3 meters distance) At i/30 speed you'll be able to stop montion.

Enjoy your gigs

Pako
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;