Pocket Wizards or Sky Ports with 5600 flash

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
BeHimey
Acolyte

Pocket Wizards or Sky Ports with 5600 flash

Unread post by BeHimey »

Has anyone, or better yet is it possible to connect either a pocket wizard or sky port to a 5600 flash?

I can get modules to get me there with my cameras, but not having much luck with the flash end.

If I could find a place to source the connectors, either hot shoe or the off camer cable I will attempt to build an adapter.

Or am I risking damaging my flash units?
Brad Himes
http://www.certainlikenessphotography.com
Maxxum 7D, Alpha 100, Alpha 700
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Pocket Wizards or Sky Ports with 5600 flash

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Because the flash units are serial-port triggered, not a simple connection i/o, they can't be used with a PocketWizard etc. I use Skyport between the camera and my Elinchrom flash heads, with an FS-1100 adaptor.

David
BeHimey
Acolyte

Unread post by BeHimey »

David, I couldn't give up, I had spent too much on the HVL56 flash units(I own 3) and was running into limitations with the built in wireless capabilities.

I bought a promaster off camera cable as I liked its build and ease of disassembly. I also bought a mono cable from radio shack and a hot shoe adapter that provided a pc port( so I could use it with my A100 as well as a 7D and A700). These items cost $85 US. I then removed the flash end of the off camera cable and soldered the mono cable wires to the two connectors that when closed would trigger the flash.

End result: It works, however the max shutter speed with the HVL56 flash in this configuration is 1/200th, I also have a minolta 3600D flash and a couple vivitar 285 flashes.
The vivitar and minolta flash units work at 1/250th.

Ultimately, I achieved the goal with only the slightly slower shutter speed, but I can work around that. I have 3 sets of these modified cables and so far everything is holding up well.
Brad Himes
http://www.certainlikenessphotography.com
Maxxum 7D, Alpha 100, Alpha 700
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sounds like a warranty-invalidating adaptation, but I'm glad to hear it works. If I come across any official bits of kit which can complete the wireless rig, I'll post here again.

David
Kenneth B
Acolyte

Unread post by Kenneth B »

There is quite a bit of info on the Dyxum forum. I've wondered if the short to fire is there for legacy support or if this is still how the camera triggers the flash. Maybe the camera creates a short if it doesn't detect one of the serial i/o flash units.

The other option, the one I use so I could keep HSS, is Radio Poppers. Unfortunately they are only available in the US as far as I know.
Alpha Head
Acolyte

Unread post by Alpha Head »

Kenneth,

How are your RadioPoppers working for you? What flashes are you using with them? Have they been 100% reliable? In the real estate thread, David mentioned he was having problems with them not firing all the time. Unless he was mistaken w/ the cheap knockoffs. BTW, what is the significance of wireless TTL? thanks for your feedback!