Sony HVL-RLAM

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

Sony HVL-RLAM

Unread post by SLUFDRIVER »

Hello all,
I got into a situation recently where I needed some cool (temperature) illumination for a macro series at work and picked up the Sony Ring Light. At first I was not sure if I was going to be satisfied with the light vs flash design, but quickly came to see why it was built as a light. In the past I've nearly always run into unwanted shadows in the finished product (35mm flim) because a modeling lamp just cannot produce the same effects. Most of what macro I do is technical/engineering reference shots. The light format gives sort of a 'what you see is what you get' view. I was able to do the final lay up in about half the time it normally takes!

As a side note, I was unhappy with the adapter rig for the control box; sat very high ontop of the camera, and could in my opinion under certain circumstances induce vibration. I bravely disassembled the new unit only to discover that it would be a fairly simple task to remove the standard shoe arangement (2 screws), buff down the supplied Sony type shoe adapter, and use the same 2 screws to attach it directly to the control head. This reduced the overall height by nearly 5/8"(!). Just in case anyone else here has a similar interest. :idea:

Best to all, JJ
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony HVL-RLAM

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Could you let us know the exposures involved, with distance, lens, ISO etc? I think it the main worry people have - that the light will not be bright enough for hand held work.

David
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

Re: Sony HVL-RLAM

Unread post by SLUFDRIVER »

Hello David,

Sorry I left out the details. The subject was a vehicle-specific machined aluminum bellcrank segment from an all-wheel steering system actuator. I used the 100M28 varying from about 1.5' to 2.25' away at 3.5 to 5.6, ISO 400, 1/40 (on a tripod) with the light on Full setting.

I do mean to have some quality time with it outdoors hand held once the weather breaks a bit. I'd like to hunt up some newts and other small crawlies to work with. That should test it's ability, as my woods are fairly dark in the litter even on a bright day.

JJ