Delta Macro ring

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Delta Macro ring

Unread post by Javelin »

I've got soemthing I can try for this. Just got to get my old pen plotter working ..
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Here is a series of three images shot today by Shirley using the Alpha 700, 70mm Sigma macro, and the Delta (aka Marumi etc) ringflash. The full size composite is 3000 x 6000 pixels and sharp enough at that size for Alamy. Whatever the claimed flash duration, it has frozen the uncurling movement of the butterfly's tongue when drinking. Manually focused (she was having problems with the AF) by moving the camera, f/16 at ISO 160.
Attachments
butterflyfeeding-sk-web.jpg
butterflyfeeding-sk-web.jpg (123.97 KiB) Viewed 8643 times
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Here are two more of Shirley's shots - sometimes, you don't see what it is in the picture. The small fly is seen next the thickness of a butterfly antenna.... two shots, but same basically, just the wee fly was a bit sharper in one with slightly less perfect sharpness on the butterfly.
Attachments
bigbuglittlebug.jpg
bigbuglittlebug.jpg (157.71 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
littlebug-detail.jpg
littlebug-detail.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

Hi - sorry to resurrect an old thread, but couldn't find anything else as detailed about the ring-flash...

wondering if anyone is using an A580 & Delta ring-flash combo - just got the flash [for xmas, but obviuosly had to be tested], and whilst it works fine on the A700/A900, on the A580 it behaves a bit oddly [I was aware of the problems with the SLTs, but didn't recall seeing anything about the newer 'conventional' bodies].

It operates as expected in viewfinder mode, but doesn't issue a pre-flash when in Live-View, so exposure is completely wrong...but it does work correctly in focus-check live-view mode...

...since 'regular' Live-View is really the mode I'd been hoping to use, just wondered if anyone else had come across this and if there were any known workarounds / solutions ?

Apologies if I've miseed a thread about this, but couldn't spot anything when searching.

Cheers for any help, advice or otherwise...

IDM
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I think all the newest cameras have a different flash protocol that's made a lot of 3rd party flashes not work. the Sigma is reported to work and can be updated by sigma if any problems arise.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

You can't do reliable pre-flash TTL in MF live view, that's the real issue. It is not the fault of the flash, it's the fault of the system - the camera can not do two things at once from the same imaging sensor.

David
ianmiddy
Heirophant

David Kilpatrick wrote:You can't do reliable pre-flash TTL in MF live view, that's the real issue. It is not the fault of the flash, it's the fault of the system - the camera can not do two things at once from the same imaging sensor.
But it works fine in MF-check Live View [although, of course, you get the mirror 'double-action' + pre-flash with AF enabled] - it's the AF LiveView that fails - presumably it has something to do with the secondary LV sensor and [as Javelin says] the revised flash protocol ? - I wonder if the Delta works ok on the A350 etc in LiveView [unfortunately, sold mine a few weeks ago so can no longer compare...]

Oh well, will just have to try and see how I get on using MF-Check LV for insects etc...

Cheers

IDM
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

If it's the Quick AF live view mode, the pre-flash pulses must be measured by the in-prism CCD. I know the Delta flash has limited compatibility, don't have an A350 body here to check it, only a 580 so I will see how the Delta performs with our 580 when I have time. It did not produce any noticeable errors with earlier cameras, I'm pretty sure we used it with the A550.

David
ianmiddy
Heirophant

David Kilpatrick wrote:...I will see how the Delta performs with our 580 when I have time. It did not produce any noticeable errors with earlier cameras, I'm pretty sure we used it with the A550.
David, if you get a chance to try your 580 that would be great - would be nice to know if it's my body or flash at fault, or if it is a general problem with 'normal' LiveView on the 580 ?

[I tried my F58 and my Min3600 yesterday as my newest/oldest (I think) flashes. and both work perfectly on the 580 in all three modes [VF, AFLV, FCLV] - so really at a loss as to why the Delta should behave differently]

Cheers

Ian
Pirate
Oligarch

Delta DRF-14 S Macro Ring-Flash

Unread post by Pirate »

I have a very nice boxed complete copy of the Delta DRF-14 S if anyone is after one. I've just listed it on the Bay and Brazilian jungle websites, but can pull it if necessary. Works a treat though as yet unlisted in the PCA classifieds, so this is just a bit of heads-up. FYI, there's a bit of a write-up about it here. AFAIK, this is only compatible with Dynax/Maxxum and 3 digit Alpha DSLR's (not SLT).