Wirelss Flash Networking Questions (Sony a100)

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Jian
Acolyte

Wirelss Flash Networking Questions (Sony a100)

Unread post by Jian »

First off, a history.

I've a Minolta Dynax Maxxum 9xi for about 10 years now, and use 5400hs flash units, where you can wirelessy network mulitple flashes.

I bought two additional 5400hs flash units recently, only to find that they don't effectively use wireless on the Sony Alpha 100, and can only be used singly, and at full/manual strength.

So, I want the same 'two-remote flashes, one-on-camera flash' for my Sony a100 (digital) as I do my Minolta 9xi (35mm.)

I looked into the Sony HVL-F36AM, but some reviews point out that it can't be used as a Master Controller.

I then looked into the Sony HVL-F56AM, which CAN be used as a Master Controller, but is also very expensive.

Finally, I found flashes like the Phoenix d92-bzs, which are cheap, and, I think, use the actual flash coming off of the main camera as a cue to flash themselves... whether or not this would be a problem for me, or for the Sony a100, I cannot say.

So, any experiences?

Do I buy a HVL-F56AM, and use two Phoenixes to get that on-camera-flash and two satellite flashes I want? Can I use the HVL-F56AM as a Master Controller for the two Phoenixes, or not? Can I use the factory-on-camera flash, and use two Phoenixes? Can more than one Phoenix be used, or will it get confused, since it's not the same kind of wireless networking as if all three were Sony units?

Results? Suggestions?

I understand there's issues with distances and strengths in lower-priced flashes, but I also balance that with changing the flashes' distance from the subject, bouncing the flashes, bounce-heads, diffusers, etc.

Please, give me some experiences, suggestions, and ideas on how to get my three-point flash system back on my Sony a100!

Thank you! (bolded words for quick reference when replying)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Wirelss Flash Networking Questions (Sony a100)

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I can not answer for the Phoenix models (not sold in UK) but all Cobra, Sigma, Jessop, Metz guns which are rated as Alpha digital body compatible can be mixed with Km/Sony guns. The built in flash of the A100 acts as your remote controller, you do not need to have a camera top gun. You can use no 36, 56 (HS-D, or Sony) or the new 42 and 58 models in any combination of remote units with the Alpha 100. You can not set ratio flash, the only way to get this is to have different powers - I own a 36, 56, and 42. Also, the wireless will not trigger the older 32, 54 etc models even at full power. You must have the newer (D) or Sony models.

David
Jian
Acolyte

Unread post by Jian »

"You can use no 36, 56 (HS-D, or Sony) or the new 42 and 58 models in any combination of remote units with the Alpha 100."

Is that as in "You can use (numbers) 36, 56..." or "You can use NO 36, 56..." ?

So, you're saying I can use, for instance, a 56 with two Metz guns, and the other flashes will respond well, but will have to manually set the power on them, yes?

Also, on a budget, and using the built-in flash on the a100, what would you suggest as the other two flashes? Metz? Cobra? Any favourite brands, and models, again, on a budget?

Also, thank you for your answer!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Numbers 36 and 56 whether KM or Sony, all work. For low cost, Sigma 500 Super or 530 models are good. Do not get the Sigma 500 standard, it does not do wireless! If you can afford the Metz models, they are superior in build quality and functions. I would suggest looking for a KM/Sony 36 and 56 to create a good two-light remote set up with the A100.

David