HVL-F56AM Battery Usuage Gripes

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
Ivan Watkins
Acolyte

HVL-F56AM Battery Usuage Gripes

Unread post by Ivan Watkins »

When my flash proclaims that it's batteries have run out of juice why are two dead as a rock and the other two are almost fully charged? Seems like the unit only uses the juice from the top two and just likes to have the 2nd two just because it can. I've been dealing with this ever since I purchased the flash with my A100. Has any one else experienced this.

This is starting out with ALL NEW BATTERIES (reg and rechargables). End result... two dead and two ready to go for several drives around the block!
Is this a defective unit or just a really bad design flaw?
"Expose Your Mind's Eye"
http://www.ivanwatkins.com
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: HVL-F56AM Battery Usuage Gripes

Unread post by Javelin »

on my 36AM the batteries are wires in series. so the flash only sees them as one battery. the only thing I can think of that may cause this on my flash would be a bad or corroded contact. even then it should drain all the batteries evenly but they would drain all the time even with the flash off
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

That's very interesting, are you saying the lower two batteries are still usable? I use the F56 and have not noticed this, but that's not to say I had any way to observe it without deliberately looking. What kind of batteries are you using?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Ivan Watkins
Acolyte

Unread post by Ivan Watkins »

Yes, the lower two usually are almost at full capacity and the upper two are completely drained. I've used all different kinds. Duracell, Energizer reg, Energizer Lithium, Nuon Rechargable plus others. I usually test out my batteries in a point and shoot to see how much life is in them and these are my results.

After a lot of use the 56 Flash says that batteries are finally drained and the flash won't operate.

I remove the top two and put them in a point and shoot (Kodak easyshare) and it may run for just a few moments then shut off because the top two are used up.

Put in the 2nd two (from bottom of 56 fm) and there is enough juice to record about 1 hour 25 minutes of quick time video!!! Recording video will use up the juice from batteries fast.

I really hate to think that during a shoot I might need to keep arranging the order of the batteries in my 56 to get more life out of them.
"Expose Your Mind's Eye"
http://www.ivanwatkins.com
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Something is definitely wrong with the wiring. My advice is either to change it (if in warranty) or get it repaired. The circuit has been wired incorrectly.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr