Minolta Dimage 5400

Minolta scanners, scanner support and replacement choices
MFS
Heirophant

Re: Minolta Dimage 5400

Unread post by MFS »

The 1.1.5 Win version can be downloaded from the 5400 series instead of the 5400II series.
John.

Sony A700 - KMD7D + Grip - HS5600 D and some Minolta Lenses
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I prefer Vista to XP for its better GUI. Anyway Microsoft is coming up with a Windows 7.

Stilling in fear of wiring up 5400 to PC because of the huge file it generates, a 200Mb tif file if I choose full resolution. I know Vuescan can scan to the scanner's RAW file. Is there any information available?
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Have finally fixed the problem using VueSan 64bit. Works great in Vista but for Windows 7, I can use only USB
Here is the album
http://fotop.net/herbridge/Tasmania_2001
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Working well - the colours show where slide film did have some good points!

I have just started using my Dimage Multi Pro again, working steadily through rollfilm slides. My solution is to run it on a networked Mac Mini with an older system and Photoshop 8 (CS). I then save the files to my main machine and edit in CS4, followed by keywording. I can edit and keyword each file in about the same time it takes the other machine to make a 100-200MB scan, I then reduce these in size. Some old E6 is in a very bad state but other rolls are perfect.

David
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Great job David
The scanned size from a single 35mm neg is 200-300Mb and the scanning draws a lot of resources. Yes I did look into Mac but it ended up with a system of Mac Pro which costs 5000UKP at least. So I have to purchase another i7 system running on Windows 7 64bit. With ever growing number of harddisks....................(my current storage goes well beyond 10T) I am thinking a networked NAS or a real file server before going further for scanning
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The scan is only 200-300MB if you save as 16-bit. I'm scanning rollfilm, and find that while I can scan at 4800dpi and end up with monster files, they do not contain any more information - and for highest quality, I am better off scaling those files down to around 50MB TIFF. Currently I scan 6 x 6 or 6 x 9 at 2400dpi, 6 x 4.5 at 3200dpi and reduce the resulting 100MB 8-bit file down in size. The Mac Mini is an old one, a G4, worth about £150 - it has just 512MB RAM. I have tried using more powerful machines, but it is the scanner and the Firewire 400 connection not the host machine which determines the scan speed.

David
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

I don't understand the system concerns. I have a 5400 II on a system with Athlon XP, 2G RAN and Windows XP SP2. The even older Elite scanner (SCSI) was much slower. I don't have a problem editing the large scans and I only change to 8-bit in CS4.

As for Vista I kept away from it. Even now Microsoft's inability to provide a proper OS is beyond me. I started to look at Windows 7 and you have to choose to install either 32-bit or 64-bit, I have no idea why they should force this on people.

Harvey
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

If you are interested in purchasing a Minolta Dimage Scan 5400 II there is a lightly used scanner up for auction on ebay UK.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Konica-Minolta-Di ... 2eb06303f2
I this is a rare opportunity to acquire a good copy, but with four days to go the price is already at £211. Fortunately I have a working copy or I might be tempted to bid.
Simmondsphotography
Initiate

Unread post by Simmondsphotography »

I recently bought a "used" 5400 scanner, in fact it had never been used, still in it's unsealed wrappers. As I wanted to use it with my 64bit iMac I didn't even attempt the standard drivers as I noted that Vuescan had drivers for my Mac for this machine. I have just completed a photobook of scanned images, many of which were scanned in with the 5400 and Vuescan. Whilst the Vuescan is not that user friendly at first, once into it, it is in fact very quick indeed, much quicker than Epson's flatbed drivers!

In fact I found Vuescan simplicity itself compared to using the photobook software!! :roll:
Cheers, Dave
A900, A700, A77 and far too many lenses!
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

harveyzone wrote:You could try VueScan (http://www.hamrick.com/). I am not sure if it works with your scanner, but they have a trial version that you could try. I have used it with a couple of my obsolete scanners that will never get vista drivers and it works very well (with more control than the original software supplied).
Vuescan does work with the 5400 - although my information about that is second-hand. I have a Polaroid 4000 myself, and when it comes to the 5400 I am only repeating what others have said.

With best wishes,
- Tom -