Ansco Model A

Tell everyone where you have seen old gear in stores, museums... or in use!
the_hefay
Viceroy

Ansco Model A

Unread post by the_hefay »

This was part of what I was given when my Grandma passed away. It was originally my Great Grandad's camera and was stored in a box for for many years. I took the front apart and cleaned the main lens and the two view finder lenses. The mirrors in the view finders were etched and corroded and totally unusable. My uncle suggested some metal flashing he had left over from a construction project. I was kind of skeptical, but it worked like a champ. You can see in the second picture how well it turned out for being a piece of shiny sheet metal.
Attachments
_DSC6022 BW 1024.jpg
Ansco Model A using small leg support.
(171.42 KiB) Downloaded 8129 times
_DSC6025 BW 1024.jpg
view through one of the view finders.
(207.08 KiB) Downloaded 8129 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Ansco Model A

Unread post by Birma »

Great to revive a family heirloom like this :) Next .... pictures! ;)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

There were actually three cameras, so the 3 photo buffs each received one. One was a Brownie, I'm not sure which model, the other was a larger bellows camera, but I didn't get a chance to see it. I'll have to go visit my cousin and check it out.

I've run a couple of test rolls through it to see how it worked. The shutter spring is a little tired which creates a difficulty for camera shake. Also, the sun can not be shining on the front of the camera at all so sun or other very strong light sources must be adjusted for accordingly. I'd really like to try a star trail shot with it. It has a lever that holds the shutter open for long exposures and it has two seperate aperture sizes.
the_hefay
Viceroy

I kind of forgot about this post. Anyways, I did take some pictures but there is some serious light leak somewhere. Maybe one of these days I can spend some time figuring that out.