8 v 16 bit image

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

8 v 16 bit image

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

hi all
is there such a big deal in the difference between 8 bit image and a 16 bit i dont in theory but in the visible image, elements will fully edit a image in 8 bit pixel mater and full photoshop is in 16 bit but i cannot see any difference i either.
any opinions please.
mike hawthorne :?
dewarp
Oligarch

Re: 8 v 16 bit image

Unread post by dewarp »

mikehawthorne wrote:hi all
is there such a big deal in the difference between 8 bit image and a 16 bit i dont in theory but in the visible image, elements will fully edit a image in 8 bit pixel mater and full photoshop is in 16 bit but i cannot see any difference i either.
any opinions please.
mike hawthorne :?
The bit depth basically controls the number of unique colours that an image could contain. Most computer screens are more-or-less limited to the sRGB gamut, so it is unlikely that you will see any difference between most 8 and 16 bit images. However, if you print images on a professional quality printer you might be able to discern the differences, because the printer has a much wider gamut than a screen. (Also depends on your eyesight of course!)

regards - Peter
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

thanks for reply i have pixelmater and is built for mac retina and 64 bit, also 16 bit and does 99% of photoshop but little items like undo history magnetic lasso but is only £20 uk.

thank you
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Could it be that 16-bit images have more room to play with during post processing than 8-bit images?