Question about Alamy etc

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
foto
Acolyte

Question about Alamy etc

Unread post by foto »

@David:

Hello,
after finishing reading your correspondence with Sonolta about high ISO on a900.
I have one question not closely related to ISO, so, I'm starting a new thread.
I saw that you have some shots of beer in your Alamy portfolio, also some shots from various festivals with people in it - from the properties I see that they don't have release (model or property).
I have two questions:
  • 1.Have you ever had some troubles with these photos (did ever someone claimed that you're not entitled to publish his/hers photo)
    2.Can you (and of course will you) tell me if such images are sellable - do they sell as ones which have release or slightly less or you-wouldn't-believe-how-much less :) ?
I'm asking you these questions because I have a lot of photos I'm unable to obtain model/property release and I was under impression that I'm not allowed to send them (at least, if I send them, no one will want to buy them).

can you help me on this?
Regards,
Aleksandar

P.S.
I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask such question but I just didn't know where to post it.
Aleksandar
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Question about Alamy etc

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Model releases are only required for advertising or similar commercial uses, and sometimes, may not even be required for these. Editorial use (travel guides, books, posters, postcards, calendars, websites, encyclopedias, newspapers, magazines, textbooks) does not require any model release or property release as long as the activity shown took place in public, and was photographed from a public place. The TV crews were filming these events, and of course they do not even try to get the usual releases from people; it is treated as 'news' because it is public. Some stage performances, concerts, pageants etc are public too.

I do not sell pictures with people in as Royalty Free, and on Alamy, this restricts the value. RF pictures sell for much higher fees. My daughter sold a picture of an empty beach - no people on it - for $390 this week, but my average Licensed editorial sale is around $100. You are not allowed to list any image with people or property in as RF, unless you have releases for everyone and everything shown. But you can list almost anything as L (Rights Managed) with a release. It is up to the buyer to decide whether their use is likely to cause legal problems, having an unreleased image published. The photographer is not responsible, nor the agency. The legal action would be taken against the buyer/user, and if they can see it has no release, it is their decision.

If you take pictures of people in their own private space - in their gardens, in a club or venue where a ticket admission has been paid, inside the compound of a public swimming pool where admission is paid, in hotel grounds where they are paying guests, in a restaurant, on a private beach, on a yacht - it may depend on where you are, when the picture is taken, and whether the subjects can be seen freely by passers-by. If you have to go into the private space, or find an unusual viewpoint and use special equipment (long lenses) to secure the shot, they can take legal action for 'invasion of privacy' now in most countries. But if you can take the picture from a public area with a normal camera, you can use it. Example - a picture of a street with people sitting outside cafes eating. I sell these all the time, it is what tourist guides want to see. This month I have already sold:

The first one is on a KM D7D , nice colours - the second on a Nikon D80, really peculiar colours.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks David, :)

This information helped me also as I'm not much fan of the other micro-stock sites.

Yildiz
foto
Acolyte

Unread post by foto »

David,
thank you very much for your answer.
It has helped me a lot and I can already see a new perspective :)
thanks again,
Aleksandar
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Is there any specific size that you should submit to Alamy? or any other general requirements?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Alamy images must be 48MB in size as an RGB 8-bit TIFF - you upload them as JPEGs, of course, but when opened in Photoshop the size reported should be 48MB or more. With the A100-A700, this involved 'uprezzing' to 5120 pixels on the longest image dimensions using Adobe Camera Raw, from raw files, with no sharpening applied. If you only have JPEGs, they usually have compression or sharpening present which makes uprezzing produce visible artefacts - Alamy may then fail the images for poor quality. So it's always best to use raw.

From the A900 I am now downsizing my images! The difference between up and down scaling is considerable. It really does make the A900 images look super-sharp when sending them for this kind of use. Of course, you can send full size A900 70MB images - or you can blow up A100-700 images to 75MB using ACR. Sometimes, I have a shot which is so sharp on these smaller pixel counts it works perfectly. I can get D7D/D5D images up to 48MB size, most are perfectly sharp from raw, but not to 75MB.

David
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Hi David

I guess using the Sony Image Data Convert to resize the image will not do? I notice when I convert a RAW to Tiff from the a350 I get a 41MB file, so I gues it does not need a lot of upsizing?

Cheers, Stephen
foto
Acolyte

Unread post by foto »

******************************************************************************************************************
Submission guidelines
We need:

* JPEG’s saved at a high quality setting (i.e. Photoshop level 10 or above).
* Alpha-numeric file names ending in .jpg.
* RGB files, not single channel greyscale or CMYK.
* Uncompressed file sizes of more than 48MB, we recommend that you do not interpolate your files to more than 55MB. This means you should make your JPEG file from an 8 bit TIFF file that is at least 48MB. If you have a camera that is capable of producing an uncompressed 8 bit, TIFF file size of over 48MB then leave it that size.
******************************************************************************************************************
We reject images for (Show all):

The uncompressed file size of the image is under 48MB or exceeds 200MB. Based on our experience of customer requirements and to give you exposure to the largest possible market we advise you to supply file sizes between 48MB – 50MB. If you have a camera that is capable of producing an uncompressed 8 bit, TIFF file size of over 48MB then leave it that size. For more information, please see images from digital cameras.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography-guide.asp

Regards,
ALex
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

stevecim wrote:Hi David

I guess using the Sony Image Data Convert to resize the image will not do? I notice when I convert a RAW to Tiff from the a350 I get a 41MB file, so I gues it does not need a lot of upsizing?

Cheers, Stephen
Just upscale in Elements, or PSP, or whatever.

David
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Thanks for the links, Sonolta, in the links it states to change the resolution to 300dpi images , but I can't find where it say this on alamy.
is 300dpi a standard for printing ?

Cheers, Stephen
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Just 1 more question,

what colour space to use

sRGB or AdobeRGB

Cheers, Stephen
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador