Online storage

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
desmalta

Online storage

Unread post by desmalta »

My fiance' and I will be spending two weeks in Hawaii in May. Where can I find an online site (free or fee based with large amounts of data transfer as we'll be shooting raw and jpeg) to upload and store my photos to each day? We'll have a 1 TB hard drive and flash drives to copy to but I would feel much safer having them online too. Thanks! Jim
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Online storage

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Desmalta, hi and welcome to the forum. :D

There are many sites for photo hosting (or whatever it is called).
Try http://www.zenfolio.com/
or http://www.flickr.com/
or http://www.pbase.com/
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

You have several things to consider, actually. Do you want others to have access to these files? What types of files will the various sites let you upload? i.e., will they let you upload the RAW files.

The biggest thing to consider, really, is bandwidth. Most hotels only have a single connection to the internet, that is shared by everyone in the hotel. Putting a lot of files thru that congested pipe is not gonna be easy.

For unlimited storage of any type of file, you might look into one of the online back-up sites like Carbonite. They cost, but you can backup everything. They also have a 2 week free trial, so if you go on vacation for only 2 weeks........

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Dusty wrote:The biggest thing to consider, really, is bandwidth. Most hotels only have a single connection to the internet, that is shared by everyone in the hotel. Putting a lot of files thru that congested pipe is not gonna be easy.

Dusty
Sonolta wrote:Top photo sharing sites like Smugmug have no problem with *congested pipes*, and Smugmug can handle the raw files as well.

-Sonolta
The problem, as I noted, will most likely be in getting a lot of files UP from a hotel.

Dusty
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I was only addressing the question - online storage. The addition of an external HD is, of course, a good idea.

SmugMug, however, isn't cheap. From your link: Pricing for SmugVault starts with a $1 monthly base fee in addition to the regular SmugMug annual subscription price. Each gigabyte stored costs 22 cents per month. There are also data transfer fees of 30 cents per gigabyte to upload, and 51 cents per gigabyte to download. The service currently limits file sizes to 512 megabytes, although SmugMug plans to raise that limit substantially in the future.

Carbonite, OTOH, is unlimited storage for one price. Now, I haven't used it, personally, and it may not be as photo-finding friendly as others, but I believe the OP's concern was a backup for safety reasons, not for long term archiving. Either way he now has several choices.

Dusty
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Then a question arises. Which is better (not best) smugmug or zenfolio?
Asking this cause I couldn't find the explanation given by Dusty in their site. (not quite attentive on my side, I suppose) :?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Do you think Smugmug is worth investing in, Don, for print sales and image downloads? I've never touched this market at all, I know you have done a fair amount of business with physical print sales.

David
Bengeo
Initiate

Unread post by Bengeo »

What about Microsoft's http://skydrive.live.com/? 25Gb and free.

Andy