Killing glare on slick magazine pages

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Killing glare on slick magazine pages

Unread post by Dusty »

My company recently won some awards for ads we;ve created, and I'm trying to get a few shots of them so that they can me used at the awards presentations.

On of the ads was a print ad in a magazine, and try as I might I can't find any combination flash, off camera flash, Bounce flash, natural lighting or any combo that doesn't give me glare on at least one of the pages.

I've even tried using the polarizer, all to no avail.

HELP!hiccup!hiccup!hiccup! Any Ideas? Do I need to go get an umbrella and bounce into that? Bounce off of the ceiling or white panels doesn't seem to help.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Dusty
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Killing glare on slick magazine pages

Unread post by bakubo »

This is the type of thing that a flatbed scanner does very well. Much easier than trying to take a photo with a camera.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You need polarised light - pol filters over lighting heads - to get this right.

I just place the lights to either side, and the camera in the middle, and accept some modelling sheen to make the pages look solid.
callieshell-example.jpg
callieshell-example.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 6985 times
This example is for a cut-out on the page, showing a spread from Callie Shell's Obama book. I use the reflection here deliberately. With the pages flatter, the two large light sources do not create any reflection.

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Somewhere in the back of my mind I recalled polarizing filters at the light source. I don't have any, so we had to go another route on that one. We submitted the PDF of the original ad, instead of showing it in various magazines.

Scanning wouldn't have worked because we had several mags displayed together.

Thanks for the help. I'll see about ordering some polarizing gels.

Dusty