windows v elements

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

windows v elements

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

hello to all

i have noticed when working on an image the photo looks sharp and adjusted as i wish it be, but when opend back up in photo gallery it looks less sharp and les impact than it did in elements. any one else notice this.

Mike hawthorne
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: windows v elements

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Two possibilities - different colour management settings, meaning the colour is AdobeRGB for Elements, but Windows is expecting sRGB (like a web image) and sees the colours as flat and a bit browny-yellow; secondly, that you may be saving with a lot of JPEG compression. Before you save the file it will look normal, but when you often up a heavily compressed JPEG later it can appear to have lost sharpnes and detail.

Another thing which can happen is that you are saving very large files, from an A77 for example. These (even in fast systems) can appear to be opened, and look soft, but anything up to 30 seconds later will 'render' to full resolution proving that what you originally saw was a subsampling - like a preview. So waiting for the file to render at full resolution can also be necessary, but it usually only applies to images of a very large size.

David
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

I've noticed similar effects with various JPEG display programs and applets - when viewing jpegs full screen (meaning some sort of scaling will have been applied to the image as I shoot at 14-24 MP typically), Google's freebie picasa software renders images in full screen mode much more pleasingly (smoother colour gradients, colours closer to my RAW developer settings) than farstone image viewer for example - and as I tend to process sRGB throughout when developing from RAW, its more likely due to the relative merits / flaws of the JPEG rendering engines / scaling in my case.
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Though it probably doesn't apply in this case, there's one other point that may be worth mentioning. When Windows explorer displays raw files (at least Sony raw files) using the Sony driver software, it's really extracting and displaying the JPEG embedded into the raw file.

It is odd in one respect though: although it's extracting and displaying the embedded JPEG, it still derives the overall dimensions from the resolution of the raw file, not the embedded JPEG. If you click the button that normally displays a file at 100%, what you'll get will be the embedded JPEG scaled up to the dimensions of the raw data. The embedded JPEG isn't particularly high quality to start with (it's intended primarily for previews and such), and this scales it up to something like 400%. The result rarely looks very good (to put it as nicely as possible).