new 18-250 sigma

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

new 18-250 sigma

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

hello David Kirkpatrick
I noticed that sigma have produced a revised version of there 18-250 hsm i know that it is smaller and more compact. I have not seen a side by side comparison yet, have you tried it and compared it to the earlier version.

Mike Hawthorne
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: new 18-250 sigma

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

We have it here, it's much smaller, no OS, but I do not have my tests done yet.

David
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

Thanks David for reply .
I asked a notable camera shop in Chelmsford the same question about the new version of this sigma lens. He said after I asked about the point of changing the lens he said as a salesman he would recommend changing to the newer version, as a photographer he would not.

mikehawthorne
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

It's nowhere near as good so far. Also, we have the Pentax 18-270mm here, was hoping that might be good - but it's not. Building a lens with a 72mm front end and some serious glass inside it seems have been a one-off for the original OS design. I said at the time we hadn't used any lens as good in that range and I can only say there was a reason.

David
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

hello David
happy new year by the way, do you still use the old 18-250 by the way I have no plans to change and a700 still my mainstay kit.

mike hawthorne
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Sorry, missed this. Yes, we will still be keeping the old Sigma. I have been doing comparisons with other lenses and nothing so far comes close to it.

David