Architectural shots

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Architectural shots

Unread post by Jonathan K »

Hi all,
My appearant inability to cope with the challenges of architectural photography causes me some headaches...
I always feel that just taking a picture of a nice building rarely ends up in a good inspired photo. It seems to obvious in some ways (maybe because one can buy postcards of any famous building that certainly look better than my pics). But then I lack ideas to compose inspiring and creative shots more often than not.

So I tried:

So, what do you think?
Ideas, comments, critics or any kind of feedback is highly appreciated. Or maybe some counter-examples...

Cheers Jonathan
Please feel free to visit my gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathankaell
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Architectural shots

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The best balanced compositions are probably nos 3 and 4, though they are more conservative. On a subject like this light and contrast are key ingredients, and this looks like an ordinary day. This brickwork might look much better in the rain, wet, in winter.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

There is a feed mill near us thats closed (condemmed soon I think) tthats very interesting to look at but it's owned me every time I tried to get an interprative picture of it...
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Unread post by Jonathan K »

Thanks for your reactions...
I will try again these days. I believe it is easier to find a rainy and grey day than anything else...
I really like that building though.

Sonolta, I remember this picture from your site, I have enjoyed it already back then! Thanks for posting.

Cheers Jonathan
Please feel free to visit my gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathankaell
Chris Malcolm
Heirophant

Unread post by Chris Malcolm »

The famous "think cell" office windows for members of the new Scottish Parliament in the controversially expensive and modernistic new Scottish Parliament Building.

A shop which once sold crystal magic in Edinburgh's Old Town, which alas is no more, as the owner has retired.

Those two are among my most artistically popular architectural shots, whereas the next one, which is simply a good informative documentary shot, is the one most likely to earn its keep.

Finally, here's an example of pushing the Sigma 10-20mm to its wonderfully wide limits :-)

These were all opportunistic shots, in the sense that I happened to be passing with the camera. The first, the twelve windows, was luckily well lit. The crystal shop shot is now unrepeatably historic. The last two could be improved a lot by choosing the lighting carefully. In a place with such variable weather as Scotland that's nearly as difficult as photographing a rainbow over your house :-(

Chris Malcolm
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Man thats what we need on our parliament buildings.. Baby gates!! what a fantastic idea.... works on puppies... small children why not parliamentarians!

All intersting shots. That first one though is disturbing because without a larger frame of reference it looks like a composite image. the chrystal shop shot is interesting and the 4th shot is also interesting but the 2nd to last is probably only good for the people who know the building. it's kind of plain. BTW what is Chrystal magic ?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I'm sure that in the near future Sony will have tilt-shift (or perspective control or whatever it will be called) lenses. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

The name escapes me but a major manufacturer of these lenses has a part number for Minolta AF on their web site... German name... I'm sure you all know what they are every time a tilt shift discussion comes up their name does too
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have the $89 shift adaptor for Alpha. The real problem is that when you get 24 megapixels, cropping will generally beat shift. You can buy a top-grade 14mm or respectable zoom like the Sigma 12-24mm (probably the best lens in its class, whatever people may say about Sigma). At 12mm, if you crop an APS-C size 10 megapixel rectangle out of the forthcoming A900 full frame, you are able to get the equivalent of an 18mm lens on full frame with 9mm rise and 6mm cross (assuming a vertical shot). The actual figures are a 12mm on APS-C with 6mm/4mm movement.

The best you can get from the Russian adaptors is 11mm displacement on a 35mm custom mount lens, or 10mm displacement using any Kiev-Hasselblad1000F-Exakta 66-Pentacon 6 mount lens. The shortest true wide angle made by the Russian factory is 45mm; the 30mm fisheye is not suitable. Schneider made an excellent 40mm for the Exakta. Even on full 35mm frame, these lenses have limited architectural uses. Alternative shift adaptors to take Mamiya 645 lenses open to door to a 35mm wide-angle of modest cost, but the ARAX/ARSAT type custom made 35mm is probably better.

I found the cheapest way to have a shift lens on Alpha was a vintage 35mm PC Nikkor converted to fit Pentax screw, with an adaptor. But 35mm is just not wide enough to be useful. I have used TS lenses on 35mm since 1975; my first was the Variostar, an Austrian-made assembly fitted with a Schneider 90mm Angulon, used for studio still life work.

I've used the 24mm PC-E lens on the Nikon D3, and 24mm with that amount of shift and tilt is very useful. However, the tilt and shift are opposed in axis, meaning that you can't (as delivered) use a drop front for a traditional Scheimpflug foreground to background focus plane with the lens axis re-centered on the sensor. Nikon will, when you place an order for the lens, switch the assembly round to align the axis of the tilt and shift. Canon's TS-E lenses are permanently fixed with opposed axes, and quite useless for many purposes. The ability of Nikon to customise their PC-E lenses is one reason why many pros are switching. Another reason is the exceptional optical quality of the PC-E 24mm (I have not tried the longer focal lengths).

If Sony wanted to make a tilt-shift, they should make it a 24mm, and have a rotatable intermount so that the axis of tilt can be freely changed relative to the direction of shift. So far this basic requirement - found on any view camera - has eluded 35mm system TS lens designers.

An exception is the freely maneouvrable Lensbaby 3G, which with a small aperture plate can become a fairly sharp tilt lens with minimal PC functions:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2007/06/1 ... wing-lens/

And a cheap way to get workable 35mm focal length PC without tilt is the Lens-in-a-Cap:

http://www.loreo.com/pages/products/loreo_pccap.html

While checking this out I found that on August 18th, Jeff Wulf posted an entire set of 3D images shot on Sony Alpha using a new Loreo 3D lens.

I am starting a new thread on this.

David
Buttoneer
Acolyte

Unread post by Buttoneer »

Posted here because of the tilt/shift discussion, but there's a couple of amazing shots of last weekends Singapore Grand Prix that used tilt/shift to good effect. Picture 11 and 23 (the last of which misidentifies the car).

Just to show that there are some creative ways to use this type of lens...