sepia!

Link to your work for constructive help, criticism or advice from the Photoclubalpha community
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

sepia!

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

is sepia monochrome!

mike hawthorne
dewarp
Oligarch

Re: sepia!

Unread post by dewarp »

Yes
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

thank you
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Perhaps I should elaborate. A B&W image that has been given a sepia tone (or any other single tone) is considered to be monochrome. A colour image that is given a sepia tone is not considered to be monochrome.

Most so-called B&W images have some tint, either warm or cold. The paper used for prints in itself has the effect of tinting the image (warm or cold paper). These are therefore monochrome, and although not strictly B&W they are generally accepted as being B&W.

The use of split toning on B&W images (typically where the darks are cooled and the lights are warmed) is theoretically not monochrome, although in practice this is difficult to prove without a detailed investigation and such images are often passed off as being monochrome.

regards - Peter
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Monochrome is like saying black and white but both terms can be stretched in many different directions. I tend to think monochrome for anything that I wouldn't consider to be colour, but even there where do you put hand tinted photographs ? They started out as black and white and have been hand coloured with usually crayon or water colour paints.

I tend to accept all of what are described as alternative processes as well as carbon, split image and sepia etc as being monochrome.

When it comes to book printing even expensive quad tones can be referred as black and white.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Peter, I once worked with a lady who had hand tinted photos for a living. This was in the mid '80s, so of course by then she was doing other work. They had to actually paint each photo, faces, clothes, the whole lot!

I often wondered if any of my baby photos where done by her!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).