Solitude

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Solitude

Unread post by jcoffin »

This is a shot I took while I was in Vienna a couple of years ago. I missed the focus a bit (oops -- taking blame for missed focus is out of fashion -- of course, it was the camera/lens that back-focused :lol: ) so while it could be better, I still like it.

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Solitude

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I like it, specially the lady in red contrasting all other colors.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

jcoffin,
I like the concept. I prefer the in focus image in the foreground with the benches falling out of focus in the background. However, I don't like falling into a pattern.
Lastly, how do you feel about taking someone's picture when they don't know they are being photogrphed?
jbtaylor

So, no regrets? It's all fair game? Maybe I am just too shy (like my mother). However, that is the answer to my question.
Have you ever been caught or challenged about taking photos?
jbtaylor

Good shots. A certain boldness is required. I should just plough through it. Good advice. Good night.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Since we're doing shots of unsuspecting strangers now, I always wanted the proper forum for display of this shot. The guy on the left is shooting a Dimage E50. They were flirting with a herd of high-school aged French girls on the steps of Basilica di Santa Maria in Florence.

a700, beercan, 200mm, f/4, 1/400 sec., ISO 200
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

jbtaylor wrote: Lastly, how do you feel about taking someone's picture when they don't know they are being photogrphed?
It depends. Is the person recognizable in the picture? Is the person important to the picture, or does s/he just happen to be in a picture of something else? Are you using the picture commercially?

In this case, she forms an integral part of the picture, but I doubt she could identify herself with certainty. I have no problem with posting it without permission. If it was reasonable, I'd try to get permission before using the picture commercially, but I have no contact information for her. If somebody wanted to use the picture, I'd probably try to duplicate it using a model from whom I had permission. If the customer insisted on that exact picture, I probably wouldn't turn down the money though.

My tendency is definitely to shoot first and ask questions later though -- it's almost impossible to get a candid picture after you've given somebody a warning. In this case, I tried to ask her after taking the picture, but the task was well beyond my minimal German (and, perhaps more surprisingly, her English was no better).
Dr. Harout

I like this last shot. :D

Flickr
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Solitude… Does this qualify? (Not sure, perhaps in a sort of contradictory way...)
Alfonso
KevinBarrett

From the top of Giotto's Campanile in Florence:

Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Kevin: Very good example and intelligent composition. I don’t know if it would be wise to add in the present circumstances that I find the exposure a little dark… (only a joke, although I do find the exposure a little dark).
Alfonso
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Taken at St Mary's island, Whitley Bay

Murph
KevinBarrett

alfake wrote:Kevin: Very good example and intelligent composition. I don’t know if it would be wise to add in the present circumstances that I find the exposure a little dark… (only a joke, although I do find the exposure a little dark).
Alfonso
:mrgreen: It was a cloudy day! No, really, I shot and edited this a good while back and I think I decided at the time that these light levels are what preserved the low contrast details in the pave stones. The only thing different I'd do today is add a bit of sharpening. Thank you very much for the input, though! It was a fun picture to get!

Oh, and Paul, that photo is simply awesome.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout

Does this fit?

Flickr
jbtaylor

I am not small in the frame, but I am alone.