Going for that "film feel" with the A900.....

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
lattiboy
Initiate

Going for that "film feel" with the A900.....

Unread post by lattiboy »

I've been really enjoying DxO filmpack as of late. Here's a series from a recent trip to San Juan Island.

Most of these were processed with the Kodachrome 25 or 64 color profile.

Also, is my little watermark at the bottom overkill? I have to admit, I was pretty proud of these when I finished, so I just threw it on there.

1)

2)

3)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Going for that "film feel" with the A900.....

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I like em, certainly looks slide film-ish, with the strong contrast and extra deep shadows everywhere.
Greg
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The colors are lovely indeed! The composition could be better on the third, in my opinion: the right side is resolved very simply but the left side has too many interesting details sliding away. The only crop I could suggest eliminates half the picture and compromises a lot that you must have worked hard to get. The second shot is solid, though, a real winner.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

It's strange, isn't it? People keep whining about dynamic ranges of current digital cameras being too narrow, but when it comes to mimicking film then they happily sacrifice their shadows ...

-- Olaf
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

01af wrote:It's strange, isn't it? People keep whining about dynamic ranges of current digital cameras being too narrow, but when it comes to mimicking film then they happily sacrifice their shadows ...

-- Olaf
Nice point, Olaf. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

In my short trial of DXO, I also played with the film pack, albeit very little. I did like the results, and the ability to change film looks on each photo.

Dusty
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I should also add that the free program, Photoscape, offers limited ability to give your photo a few film effects.

Dusty
fastson
Heirophant

Unread post by fastson »

For Photoshop I can recommend two plugins which let you simulate colour film. I like to use them both. :D

Imagenomic RealGrain - http://www.imagenomic.com/rg.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alien Skin Exposure 2 - http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flickr - Sony A100, Sony A700 - SAL50F14, SAL16105, SAL1870, Minolta 35-70 F4, Minolta 70-210 F4, Tamron 90 F2.8 Macro