Flowers 2010

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
david antony
Viceroy

Re: Flowers 2010

Unread post by david antony »

Those last two b/w I really like Birma.

Neat photo Ewannawe. Makes the mile
post more eye catching.

Those do have good true colours Sury.

Finally a day with not much wind.

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks David. I understand your furstration with the wind and daffodils - they t seem to have been specially designed to catch even the slightest breeze :).
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Ewan,

That's one glorious climber / spreader. :) I wish we had some at the entrance of our building. It would be nicest walk till I turned the key in the lock of our main gate. I better look around and shop for some.

Hi Sury,

Good effort indoors. Flash is a tricky matter and you handled these well. A very vivid pink in the second shot. :)

Hi Birma,

The B&W conversions look nice. My favourite of the last series is the macro shot; what a beautiful angle and contrast that brings a graceful appearance to the flower close up detail. I'm almost going to address the daffodil as "Your Highness". :D

Hi David Antony,

Very lovely yellows...and such smooth bokeh. You should take flower shots even more often...you make them look impresive. :)
--------------------------------

This morning I took a chance with a tricky red and pink rose-like flower from the garden. It can be a type of camellia but I have to check first.
The red, overlapping petals were difficult and I had to work on them through a sofware but I believe I can take better shots at a different time with maybe a differennt setting to saturation.

This probably is what Greg was talking about: the problematic over-lapping of reds.

Keep the wonderworld flowers coming guys! :)
Yildiz

edit: removed the photo
Last edited by aster on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Lovely flower, Yildiz.
BTW, I think decreasing the WB a tad (up to 10%) would cure the yellow cast.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Spectacular little galaxy of blue there Ewannawe, and nice control of yellow as well.
Love that Daffodil Birma.
Beautiful, healthy looking flowers DA and Yildiz.
I'm thinking now it's diffused light that presents a problem with yellow and red, maybe if the light is diffuse (normally that's an ideal quality), there isn't going to be much in the way of contrast between the overlapping petals of the same colour and exposure...soo what if a little flash (directional lighting) was introduced, maybe underexpose the ambient a stop and underexpose the on camera flash fill 1/3 or 1/2 stop, then lift it all slightly in pp...I'm wondering if that would help, I can't do any experimenting at the moment...maybe on the weekend..
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks for the suggestion Dr. Harout and Greg, :)

I just had a little time to prepare an other shot from this morning, same flower almost the same time.
Please feel free to say so if you see something wrong with the elements of the photo.

Yildiz
DSC02212-2-9002.jpg
(212.03 KiB) Downloaded 1373 times
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

This one is better.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D Thanks!
sury

Re: Flowers 2010 - I will stand corrected

Unread post by sury »

Birma,
For some reason the b&w are not working for me. My apologies for not being specific but I feel the b&w treatments are lacking the oomph!hiccup!

I am the first one to admit that I do not have an eye for composition and that is one of the reason I shy away
from commenting because I know that I know not what to say. That's why I wait for others comments and then
go back and look at/for the items in the comment. Though I am feeling very self conscious about my comments,
I decided to step forward and express my views and hopefully learn from everyone.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Sury - all comments gratefully received :). I appreciate you taking the time to feedback. Looking back on them they are not quite what I had envisaged. As you say composition is the key. I can just about make the clever box of tricks expose and focus, but it is the composition that is still a big learning curve for me. I think it was Paul who posted recently to say that looking at other pictures is the only way to study and improve in this area and I agree - a real bonus of the internet is to be able to see such an array of other's images. I like the view up at the daffodil, but in retrospect I am worried that it is too grey overall, and the stamens of the lily are too dark, but I like the curve of the petals.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I can actually see the edges of the petals Yildiz so that's good, on my screen the flower looks almost luminous, it's quite an incredible colour scarlet ...did you find out what flower it was? I found a Camellia flower (different colour) in Wiki that looks very similar in style, so it might be a Camellia after all.
Greg
sury

Unread post by sury »

Birma wrote:Hi Sury - all comments gratefully received :). I appreciate you taking the time to feedback. Looking back on them they are not quite what I had envisaged. As you say composition is the key. I can just about make the clever box of tricks expose and focus, but it is the composition that is still a big learning curve for me. I think it was Paul who posted recently to say that looking at other pictures is the only way to study and improve in this area and I agree - a real bonus of the internet is to be able to see such an array of other's images. I like the view up at the daffodil, but in retrospect I am worried that it is too grey overall, and the stamens of the lily are too dark, but I like the curve of the petals.
Birma,
Thank you very much for your encouragement. Learning from others is what I have done and doing.
BTW, I have a same predicament in converting to B&W. I thought it was my conversion work flow for lack of
that oomph!. I am trying to figure out if there is a way of apriori determining what makes a good candidate for B&W
conversion. So far my methodology is to try it and discard if you don't like it.

Could it be that the uniformity of the color or lack of tonal gradation that make them not so good canidates?
Could it be that I don't know what I am talking about? :roll:

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:I can actually see the edges of the petals Yildiz so that's good, on my screen the flower looks almost luminous, it's quite an incredible colour scarlet ...did you find out what flower it was? I found a Camellia flower (different colour) in Wiki that looks very similar in style, so it might be a Camellia after all.
Greg
Hi Greg, :)

Thanks!
Yes, actually it is a camellia type. We have three different ones in the garden and the red ones do have some differences: more petals, a shorter shrub than the pink ones'.

Yildiz
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Unread post by Ewannawe »

aster wrote:Thanks for the suggestion Dr. Harout and Greg, :)

I just had a little time to prepare an other shot from this morning, same flower almost the same time.
Please feel free to say so if you see something wrong with the elements of the photo.

Yildiz
I don't think I've ever seen you submit a 'bad' photo. Very crisp, colourful and well composed.
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Ewan,

You're very kind of you. :)

Yildiz