IR SHOTS

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Armen Gharib
Oligarch

IR SHOTS

Unread post by Armen Gharib »

Hi

here are some ir images I took today at the afternoon.
The sun and whether wren't OK but still there is some result. 680nm and 720 nm filters have been used but not with sony slr :oops: but with modified canon...
I promisse betetr IR images whenever the green will be exciting, sun will be shining and skyes will be clear :D

A550, Minolta 50/2.8Mc, Minolta 70-210/4, SAM 18-55, SAL75-300, Minolta 50/2.7, Samyang 14/2.8
http://ag.photoblogs.am/index.php?x=browse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juanito200
Viceroy

Re: IR SHOTS

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Very interesting Armen... What are you using to process the images? I am thinking of doing some 'color' IR, but I haven't been happy with my results so far. I think #3 will be awesome when the trees are better! Are these hand held? Cheers John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Armen Gharib
Oligarch

Unread post by Armen Gharib »

Hi Juanito

I use both PS and LR to proces my IR images but PS is giving the main effect.
There is only and only one secret in processing IR images in PS. You should inverese the channels of red and blue of your image in PS.
And you wil lsee what a nice effects you can get. This process should be performed in a very delicate way. I set only some gradient exposures or gradient saturations in LR.
In my case noises are extremly pressing and I also reduce some noises. Noise is the main problem of mine.
Becasue of that I want to get a extremely cheap reflex camera even with problem:)) to modify it for IR. This way I could reduce the moises. By the way if someone in the club has a reflex camera with life view function and wants to sell it for a cheap price please let me know:))
I don't like using tripod:)) becasue of it I don't capture with my A700:))
A550, Minolta 50/2.8Mc, Minolta 70-210/4, SAM 18-55, SAL75-300, Minolta 50/2.7, Samyang 14/2.8
http://ag.photoblogs.am/index.php?x=browse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juanito200
Viceroy

I'll have to give that tip a try. Don't use PS to process my RAW IR shots... I usually use IDC... Unfortunately I have to always use a tripod for my IR shots due to long exposure time. I tried some ISO 1600 IR shots at wide open aperture, but the noise was horrible, and I still had longish exposure times.. My only other camera is a Minolta 8000i, and using IR film is a real PITA! John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Juanito200
Viceroy

Armen- I was thinking about ways to improve IR image quality and I came across this.http://dimagemaker.com/2007/08/04/using ... otography/
I tried to google IR circular polarizers, but none of my results seemed to work for photography. Certainly one could be constructed.. John
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Armen - I like the pink cast to the shots very much, but the church seems to be leaning over at a worrying angle in #1 and #2 :) . The sun was very bright here yesterday and I went out with the hope of some IR pictures, but not enough green here yet :(.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma wrote:Hi Armen - ...but the church seems to be leaning over at a worrying angle in #1 and #2 :)
That's what you get when you shoot with a Canon :lol:

BTW, I borrowed the R72 infrared filter from Armen to give it a try. Here are some of the results (only grayscale yet)

A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Some more:

I think you have to shoot close from a tree

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Good experiments...

I think I like monochrones better than coloured ones. For some odd reason I don't feel well when I look at the pink ones, more like sea-sick. But maybe that's because the church is not standing upright and still. :D ...Must be a thing of the brain processing it to simulate some odd behaviours.

Keep shooting.. :)

Yildiz
Juanito200
Viceroy

Very nice Doc.. What lens did you use and settings??? John
Dr. Harout

Juanito200 wrote:Very nice Doc.. What lens did you use and settings??? John
Minolta 28/2.8 and around 1/2 a minute (some shots with 30 sec. and some at 25 sec) aperture was probably at 6.3 or 5.6
Anyway EXIF data are embedded.

Flickr
Juanito200
Viceroy

Thanks.. They are nice and sharp. John I need to improve my focusing on IR shots. John
Dr. Harout

The following one is converted in "Channel Mixer" (within "Image" ---> "Adjustments") to "RGB with Red filter"
I tried to play with the red and blue channels but couldn't find a good combination.

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great to see your experiments Doc - I like #5 and #6 the best - They have that sense of IR 'mystery' to them.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

Here's my second shot (posted above) PP-ed by Armen
Do let me know which you prefer B&W or color version
Attachments
aaa.jpg
(117.93 KiB) Downloaded 1284 times

Flickr