Flowers 2010

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Flowers 2010

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice shots Shelika, Yildiz and Birma.
BTW, I'm waiting for my Ranunculi to grow. I planted them a month ago.
No comments for the backdrop Yildiz. I'm sure you'll have lots and lots of those flowers in a few days.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Wow Yildiz I never realized Cactii grew so many blossoms of such a size in relation to the plant itself, that particular one sure does at least, and produces very striking blossoms. I like that first image, the effect is sortof like Japanese art I think, well done. :D
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I agree Birma that's an incredible amount of blossom on a tree, really nice. It might be worthwhile taking a complete tree shot as well.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Doc and Greg. I will look at getting a "whole tree shot" but it is a very built up area and I am struggling with getting a view I like. Here are a few more random ones.

Blossom in the wodds, with the A700 with Tamron 17-50/2.8

Cowslips in the park, with the A700 and Min 35-70/4

Life amongst the daisies in my back garden, with the A100 and manual 135/3.5 plus Minolta CL49-200 close-up filter
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Nice shots Birma and Aster. I finally made it out to one of the larger parks in McKinney today. It was very breezy, so flower shots were difficult. John
Attachments
Colors of spring.jpg
(133.38 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Great sharp detail in that first one Birma, and those 'cowslips' are a cute little ones as well, Daisies also, it seems you have lots of variety around at the moment, both near and far, must be a really nice time of the year there, enjoy.
Greg

ps. John I know quite well what it's like trying to take flowers in the wind, but thats still a nice sharp shot just the same.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg and John.

John,, I really like that composition with all of the colours in the background. Great stuff.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Been away from the computer for a few days. I have missed some good shots. Birma, I especially liked the 2nd image from your post on Saturday. Something very comforting about the lighting.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

jbtaylor wrote:Been away from the computer for a few days. I have missed some good shots. Birma, I especially liked the 2nd image from your post on Saturday. Something very comforting about the lighting.
Thanks JB. It was one of those special moments - the blossom was at its height, and the evening light was just about to sink below the surrounding buildings. I didn't know which way to turn or what sort of shots to take :shock: . I went to see the same tree today and the blossom had all gone - a bit of wind and a light shower or two last night and just about every petal had gone.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I went for a little ride on the velocipede this morning down to the beach area just to see what was happening...answer not a lot realy, saw lots of birdlife among the various trees and some shorebirds out on the flats at low tide, regretably all too far for any decent shots. Birds I saw were Black cocatoos, magpies, plovers, rainbow bee eaters, brown honeyeaters, doves, cookoo shrike, zebra finches, lbj's and numerous sanderling, snipe, sandpiper, stint type thingys...
Also there was this vine growing on the sand above the highwater mark that was in flower at the moment, I thought that wasn't too bad for a wild flower...especially growing in salty sand with no visible means of support..ie. no fertilizer,rich soil or regular watering, if that happened to some of the plants at home they'd fizzle in microseconds.
Greg

A100 KM24-105
Attachments
DSC02876(1).jpg
DSC02876(1).jpg (90.62 KiB) Viewed 2784 times
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Greg, AFAIK it's a Morning Glory.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yeah Doc I think you're right, turns out tho there are quite a few plants called 'Morning Glory,' it's very confusing, (at least I got confused trying to search for this particular one), but I believe I've found it. The thing with this one is, the leaves are tough leathery ovals, and a lot of the other ones that I saw look like they're heart shaped and soft and pulpy looking....see if you agree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_vine
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi guys! :D

Impressice fragile blossoms at their top form in the sunlight. I like the way they are from wild habitats.

My shots today won't be as impressive because I was trying out the 'tele macro' feature of the HDR-XR550E. Manual 'spot focus' by touching the lcd touch-screen is fun and interesting but can also cause last instance shakes. And JPGs aren't yielding the best results when processed by a software yet because it takes a learning curve to get the optimum results.
The results can be very noisy or colour-burnt if not careful.

I'll learn to hold still and command the focus and exposure amounts in time...I hope, because it's fun! :)

Well, here I go then with tries from early evening with no sunlight but what's left of it.

Yildiz

The little Aster I have at home in a flower pot which closed up once the sunlight disappeared. (by HDR-XR550E)
DSC00233-2 10002.jpg
(118.45 KiB) Downloaded 834 times
The Christmas Cactus, again, which closed up its flowers when available light diminished. (by HDR-XR550E)
DSC00262-1 10001.jpg
(116.69 KiB) Downloaded 834 times
Armen Gharib
Oligarch

Unread post by Armen Gharib »

Heeey I have captured really lots of flowers this year. I promise I will share lots of them with you whenever I have time.
Here are two of them.

A550, Minolta 50/2.8Mc, Minolta 70-210/4, SAM 18-55, SAL75-300, Minolta 50/2.7, Samyang 14/2.8
http://ag.photoblogs.am/index.php?x=browse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Birma wrote: I went to see the same tree today and the blossom had all gone - a bit of wind and a light shower or two last night and just about every petal had gone.
Typical tragic photography story. We know that it will never be the same. That is why we take the picture. Those blossoms have lived beyond the storm and wind and will continue to live... until you delete them from your site.