Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2012)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Weather Today - In Your Vicinity (2012)

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg and Yildiz :) . There is still some snow around this morning but it has been melting fast, and it is very misty - photos to follow.

Greg, re. the Nubrella - ten out of ten to the inventors for coming up with the contraption, but I'm not convinced - I think people would need to get over looking a bit silly for it to take off. For taking pictures it could be interesting - just need a tripod mountable version - mmm, interesting ;) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Rising temperatures put an end to the previous afternoon's snow, and gave a rather misty day.

2012 Winter - Mist after the snow by Birm, on Flickr

The best thing that can be said is that the slushy, melting snow helped clean our muddy wellington boots during our walk :) .
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

A tripod out in the weather Birma? Would there be any great benefit of a tripod when everything is blurred by drizzle or snow anyway. I like the green grass; I see that in some places when it gets very cold the grass goes brown, I guess it must be the different types of grass perhaps.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

:D You're probably right about the tripod umberella Greg! There have been a few times though when I've wished for an extra arm to hold something over the camera on a tripod while it was raining.

The green in this last picture is actually a planted winter crop, probably winter wheat. However most of the grass around here, including my lawn, is green and growing again. The tall, annual grass varieties go brown in the summer/autumn here after they have seeded. Other than that, brown grass here tends to be a result of drought.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Weather In Istanbul: Image Mostly cloudy
7°C; Feels Like 3°C
Wind: From North at 27 kmph
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And with your shot we validate the fact that mist follows snow, Birma. :D

I had the exact same here in Istanbul.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Birma there is the Manfrotto sliding macro/copy pole http://www.manfrotto.com/repro-arm-with ... attachment (used in conjunction with the Manfrotto hex QR plates) that could be set at an angle to the top of a tripod to bring it to eye level and offset the camera from the tripod. A ball head with a quick release could be fitted to the end of it. The tripod would be out in the weather but the camera could be kept under the edge of the hood for the shot that way if one is careful. The only thing is, the gear that use the hex plates are all fairly heavy to lug around, a tripod with the pan and tilt hex plate head is going to be bigger and heavier than you would like for a field trip I’d say, then there is the addition of the sliding pole which in itself is not all that heavy being mostly aluminium but it gains weight once the QR ball head is added.
But even then after all that the camera wouldn’t end up as steady as a rock, mine can still be vibrated with a tapping finger, the best you could say about it would be that it’s a stiff steadying device. Personally I think I’d just settle for the walk with the camera only and give one of those new brollies a try not bothering with all the tackle.
As an afterthought, as well as the macro/copy pole there is the magic arm, http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/magic-arm-kit that could be employed to clamp onto a leg of the tripod and the clamp on the other end could hold a regular brolly in place over the camera on the tripod, that would be some arrangement, but effective….can I come and watch/help (in summer) ha ha, I promise I won’t crack any jokes. :lol:
Greg
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Yildiz :)

Greg, it is all starting to sound a bit Heath Robinson again. The thought of a brolly on a tripod in any sort of wind is also bad. I agree that simplicity is best. Will just have to save up for a weather sealed A77 :)
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma wrote:... Will just have to save up for a weather sealed A77 :)
Now that's what I call reasoning... :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

tsawwassen 6ºc. wet.

Great sunrise Frank.

Unique shot showing the layers of snow defying gravity jcoffin.

Well captured shot in the mist Yildiz, like its high in the clouds.

Congtrats on getting the A77 Doc, its working really well with you.

Couple of nice English winter shots Birma. Are those you car tracks?

Little black guy high in tree, taken from bedroom.

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very nice black squirrel DA :) . Not my car tracks. My rear wheel drive car with its summer tyres stays at home in the snow. One of the few times I wish I had the 4wd Landie back.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

A black squirrel DA? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a photo of one before, good catch, are they very rare?
Greg
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Tsawwassen Cloudy 8ºc.

Thanks Birma & Greg.

They are not too common here Greg, there are plenty of them in Ontario and eastern US.
Can be found in Europe from what I've read.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Weather In Istanbul:

0°C; Feels Like -7°C
Snow Shower
Wind: From North North East at 29 kmph
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As can be seen from the photo, we're snowing in Istanbul...from what I can see from my window right now, almost anyone walking on the street is making snow balls as they go along and some are putting them in their pockets! :D There probably be some people feeling the icy wet chill at their destinations.

-----------

That's a dark beauty, David. :D

Nice to get photo-acquainted with a balck squirrel. Nice shiny pitch black fur by the way.. : ) You're lucky to wake up to the sight of these.

Thanks much for sharing,

Yildiz
We'reSnowingInIstanbul.jpg
(135.14 KiB) Downloaded 1532 times
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

It's been pretty cold and dismal here when the sun decides to hide behind fog...... OK (but cold) when the sun has been out.

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Returning to home from job ...

0c, partly cloudy (no full moon to shoot tonight ...), warm and almost no wind, feel almost like spring today, don't know where is the Winter ...

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )